• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Cross cut sled

Guys - is there a favorite plan for a cross cut sled for the BT3 - I do have the extension (left) with the miter slots. Do I need to add the Right extensions as well - My saw does not have the holes to add it will have to modify. Or is the left enough to be effective? I have seen a lot of plans on the web some seem better than others - hard to tell if they are usable on the BT3. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I've had pretty good luck with using just the one miter slot on the left. I tried a sled that used my right slot too, but I had problems with it binding and not sliding smoothly. It's not easy to have tight fitting sliders and have both slots lined up exactly parallel.

Big deep sleds aren't easy to handle on a BT since the table isn't all that deep, unless you have some infeed and outfeed support.

I don't have a mitersaw much less the room for one. The sled I use the most is this dual function crosscut sled. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=51932 I do wish I made it with replaceable zero clearance inserts.
    Erik

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

I made this one from Shopnotes and really like it:

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/crosscut-sled/exploded/

Try to plan zero clearance plates into the front and rear fences; dados make permanent changes to the fences.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

this was developed for a more traditional TS,but some of it may be useful:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t13945/

i built a 26" deep by 42" wide sled that is dead on accurate using niki's methods. allows for CCing panels for cabinets.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• BeauxTi
          Established Member
          • Jan 2012
          • Georgetown Texas
          • Ryobi BT300

Niki's links

Guys for some reason the pictures do not show on Niki's link for me. Anyone have that problem. I have been refered there several times but to no avail.
          Beaux Ti -

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

try here:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=49793

scroll down to "crosscut sled, a different way".
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Toolguy1000, it ends up at the same thread you linked to earlier.

BeauxTi, It may be some security settings in your browser. I initially couldn't see them, but if I allowed my browser to view the unsecured content (by clicking No in the popup) they came through.
              Erik

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Pelligrini's on it--allow non-secure content and the photos show. WOW!! The knobs alone are worth the time to look. The few i browsed through were simple stuff--but so clever. No TV for me tonight!!

earl

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  Toolguy1000, it ends up at the same thread you linked to earlier.

BeauxTi, It may be some security settings in your browser. I initially couldn't see them, but if I allowed my browser to view the unsecured content (by clicking No in the popup) they came through.
                  funny, when i click on the first link, it brings me to the ridgid.com forum (and the niki thread recap there). the second link may be the same information, but it brings me to the niki thread recap on this forum. is that not what happens when you click on those links?

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                    funny, when i click on the first link, it brings me to the ridgid.com forum (and the niki thread recap there). the second link may be the same information, but it brings me to the niki thread recap on this forum. is that not what happens when you click on those links?
                    If I follow your direction of "scroll down to "crosscut sled, a different way". " and take that link off of the recap BT3central thread list it resolves to the same ridgid.com link you made in post 4 of this thread. They both end up at Niki's great crosscut sled thread.

There's this one too: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32511
                    Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      If I follow your direction of "scroll down to "crosscut sled, a different way". " and take that link off of the recap BT3central thread list it resolves to the same ridgid.com link you made in post 4 of this thread. They both end up at Niki's great crosscut sled thread.

There's this one too: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32511
                      i didn't realize the bt3 link reverted back to the ridgid forum posts. the important thing is the last link you provided. it will hopefully be helpful to the OP.

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Hopefully it will help. The images in the BT3Central thread are the same ones contained in on the ridgid forum thread, but the BT thread isn't HTTPS like the ridgid one.
                        Erik

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

Beaux,

I have been happy with my sled for several years. I don't remember who I borrowed from.

I just use both of the left miter slots. One with the blade at 90 degrees and one at 45.

I also made a simple stop, to avoid cutting through the blade guard.

Over the years, I have made modifications. There are "T" nuts a several locations to add hold-downs, for repeat or risky cuts.

I use the sled often as it feels the safest to me.

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• BeauxTi
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • Georgetown Texas
                            • Ryobi BT300

Niki WOW

I allowed unsecured view - got the pictures- that Niki is amazing - that sled has got to be perfect. Simple but inventive - I looked at some of his other works - very cool. I think I need to pick up a couple of the plastic triangles - guessing a drafting supply or maybe office Depot. I am going to spend some time going over his posts - although the the idea of an adjustable Kerf slot would allow for the Dado. Start simple right ;-)
                            Beaux Ti -

Comment

• BeauxTi
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • Georgetown Texas
                              • Ryobi BT300

Bill in Buena Park -
                              how did it come out - like the idea of the adjustable Kerf. I am still new to this but willing to mess up some wood getting there.
                              Beaux Ti -

Comment

Working...