Question about cross-cut sleds (general)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Question about cross-cut sleds (general)

This is not a BT3xx specific question, but thought I'd ask. I was reading an article on the web about cross-cut sleds/panel sleds for table saws that utilize miter slots and according to this article, the position of the fence on the sled should be determined by the size of the workpiece. It went on to recommend that for larger panels (in excess of 12 inches), the fence should be on the leading edge of the sled, and for "normal" sized panels, it should be on the trailing edge of the sled. I don't know why, but I can't get it through my thick head why putting a fence on the leading edge of a cross-cut sled would be beneficial. It seems like it would be harder to apply downward pressure to the workpiece as it moves farther away from you and in general, giving you less control. I know it's not a BT issue, but I thought it was an interesting notion.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

The way I get it is that for large panels, you'd have to have a long sled with long runners to have the fence on the trailing edge. Supporting a long sled hanging off the front of the saw isn't easy.
    Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

pop wwking chris schwartz did a sled like that, with the fence on the leading edge, presumably so that a workpiece larger than 12" could be accomadated. no rear fence and the size of the workpiece wouldn't, in theory, be restricted to the distance beteen the blade and the rear fence of the sled. i got around it for almost all situations by making a sled large enough to accomodate a 26.5" workpiece, so base cabinet components could be squared up easily:

something this large might be a problem for a bt3xxx, with their smaller tables.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

If a panel is that big- why the crosscut saw? Wouldn't you just be able to use the fence at that point?

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

My crosscut sled has a trailing that can cut panels to about 24". I haven't had a problem with cutting stuff at that size, but i've got a bit of table in front of the blade. A saw with a short table in front of the blade might be more difficult to manage.

If a panel is that big- why the crosscut saw? Wouldn't you just be able to use the fence at that point?
          You can only use the fence if you have an end perpendicular to the sides.
          Eric

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Toolguy, that looks like that Auraco ply from the borg, does that hold up well on the cross cut sled? I figured the pine plywood would have more movement in it that a hardwood ply.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by chopnhack
              Toolguy, that looks like that Auraco ply from the borg, does that hold up well on the cross cut sled? I figured the pine plywood would have more movement in it that a hardwood ply.
              it's what the borg sells as "cabinet grade" plywood. so far (that sled was built 05/11) there's been no noticeable seasonal movement in my regularly unheated shop. the incra guides still display no lateral movement at all and the unit cuts at an absolute 90* (cudos to niki). the double thickness front and rear bridges probably contribute to it's stability. but it is heavy!
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• jnesmith
                • Jan 2003
                • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Are you planning to build a single runner or two-runner sled? If you are using both miter slots (ie., the sled extends to the left and right of the blade rather than just to one side), then you need both fences.

If you are just building a single runner sled, then I suppose the fence could go either fore or aft. I would prefer aft.
                John

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Cool Toolguy! will have to keep that in mind for the next crosscut sled.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...