• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolbelt diva
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I'm still a beginner, haven't actually had the time yet to start a real project. Last Christmas I asked for and received subscriptions to ShopNotes, Wood, and Popular Woodworking. Out of the three, I like ShopNotes the best. The tips, jigs, and projects are great (though I have yet to build anything from it) and I love the fact that there isn't any advertising. Based on the comments here it looks like next Christmas I should ask for a subscription to Woodsmith.
    Rita

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Never subscribed to Woodsmith, however been with Shop Notes for a couple of years. That, along with Wood Magazine, and I am a happy camper...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Aimlesssoul
        Which is good for beginners to subscribe to?
        Let me add my 2 cents to this.

Although you consider yourself a beginner, it's never to early to look at stuff you don't as of yet feel comfortable with or feel you lack the skill to build.

I cut my teeth on Fine Woodworking and at that time, I barely understood the ads. But the more projects you see, the more inspired you get and if you find something you really want to build, you can figure out how to make it using your own skill level (shortcuts, cheating). Remember, you are making it for you, so no matter what, you'll still derive pleasure in doing it, especially if it's something more involved than a tie rack or a set of bookends.

Go out and buy an issue, and if some of the stuff doesn't knock your socks off, let me know and I'll reimburse you. It's that good.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...