X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samuel
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2010

The list of best router DVD's outhere

I am new to finish woodwork and would like to learn to make cabinets and other things. I have several books that have been recomended by BT3 family- The books, while wonderful, are limited for ( me) I would like to purchase some of the best DVS for someone that have never used a router. I know there are masters in this site, I am interested in your opinions.

1. Is there such a list of the best DVD's on routers?

2. Anyone know why the DVD's prices are the same everywhere, I have not seen competition in price.

3. I would like to purchase them used or at the best price, since I have a limited budget. Anyone one knows of sources where I can purchase them?
    ( I have purchased most of the books used- so books is no problem)

4. Is there a recent comparison and or preference for a good quality router. I have read PC and Bosh are favorites by many woodworkers, any imput on this?

5. I tried taking a class on the adult school- but it went no where.
    I am looking for a resource in the San Gabriel valley, CA. 91711 area, where I can get some classes or learn from someone who is actually doing wood work.

Sorry for the long list- I am eager to learn. Thanks BT3 family.
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

1) the list, if there was one, would always be subjective, according to who is making it. If you have a book that you were able to follow, I would suggest looking for dvd recommendations in that book as they are likely to be of a similar nature. Barring that, any good woodworking website (the wood whisperer, router forums etc.) should have some insight, as well as the people here.
    Finding used dvd's is a good idea if you can, and again woodworking websites are a real good place to ask. Most guys keep stuff for reference, but might be willing to let go of a beginning dvd. Sign up at various websites that sell dvd's, then you will get notified if they are having a sale, rather than to do a hit and miss thing. Fine Woodworking, Rockler, Woodcraft, just to name a few.
    To paraphrase Father Flanagan, 'there are no bad routers, only misunderstood ones'. There are literally dozens of very good choices out there, it's really hard to go wrong. The features of a given router, and maybe even more important, how it feels in your hands, are what will help make your buying decision. If you can't handle it in a store, and there aren't liberal return options, I wouldn't consider it. I would venture to say most would buy a combo router today, more bang for the buck. Bosch, Porter Cable, Dewalt etc. all have their fans, but there are plenty of others that are just as good also, just maybe not quite as popular. Between Lowes, Sears and Home Depot, you can get your hands on a fair number of routers and see how they feel.
    Prices on dvd's are pretty close because they aren't selling a million of them, and there aren't hundreds of outlets for them. You can catch a sale now and then, but it's pretty rough to get a genuine bargain, at least on something current. Older ones, which are perfectly fine (maybe missing a new trick or two) may go for up to half off on a good sale.
    Classes are an excellent idea to get you started. You will outgrow them very quickly, but they will give you the confidence to proceed on your own.

Good luck!
    Last edited by herb fellows; 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• samuel
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2010

Thank you for all the information, it is very helpful and is giving me a place to start. I will begin looking at the resources that you suggested. I check the Bt forums regularly to see the completed projects, tips and advise given. Thanks again.

Comment

• PhilofKayDu
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2009
        • Northern Indiana
        • BT3000

Router DVD's

Samuel; I second what Herb sugested. My two cents are: Have you ever seen "The Router Workshop" on a local PBS? They are a father and son team. I learned a few tricks from them myself. I would think you could look online at PBS.org for purchasing any of those episodes. Phil

Comment

• samuel
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2010

I have not seen the show. Thanks for the tip, I just took a look and they have what look like real good resources and yes you can order tapes. Thanks again.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

The show they are talking about is on this channel. I know it works from Windows, but my old (hard drive died) Linux pc didn't like it. I haven't had time to finish my new one, but I think it is mostly flash based.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• samuel
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2010

Thank you, I found the channel- it took me a while to figure it out, there are noinstructions on how to see the videos- But I finally was able to. The videos they have available are for using the router to do some basic projects; it is a good start. Thank you again.

PS: I purchased a "making kitchen cabinets" DVD by Paul Levine- unfortunedly it is for building a formica cabinet and plain doors. It's definedly outdated. I was disspointed and skeptical of purchasing new DVD's that have fancy new covers but are outdated.
              I probably stay with the free resources that have been suggested and see what happens.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Most of the woodworking DVDs out there seem to concentrate on hand tools; there just aren't that many for power tools (although there are some about lathes and turning). Even if the list you seek exists, it would surely be quite short. So I agree that watching "The Router Workshop" and/or some podcasts might be your best bet.

Another idea is to take a class. Do you have a Woodcraft store nearby? They offer classes on most tools and techniques. If you've never used a router, some an introductory class with some hands-on instruction would be an excellent way to start.
                Larry

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

There is a Woodcraft in Stanton off the 22 freeway. That's the closest one to you. They do have a classroom facility there and the store is well stocked.

There also is a woodworking program at the University of Redlands. I don't really know anything about it, except that the late, great Sam Maloof used to teach there.

I can't help on DVDs.

JR
                  JR

Comment

• samuel
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2010

thank you, Larry and JR, excellent ideas. Iam not to far from the 22 FWY, or Redlan so I am checking them out. Thanks again.

Comment

• lcdublin
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2004
                      • Schertz, TX, USA.

Dave has a series that I found very helpful when I started out. I have had good sucess with his techniques in cabinet building.

Comment

• samuel
                        Forum Newbie
                        • May 2010

Yes they do have quite a selection and the videos are reasonable. I was able to find the wood channel and recorded several shows, that started at 2:30 am. I'll be putting into practice some of the lessons with scrap wood. Thanks to all of you who have helped me find resources.

Comment

Working...