• Show
Clear All
  • sailtravis
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Wimberley, Texas
    • BT-3100

South Austin Lumber Supplier

Several years back I bought some stock from a supplier off of South Lamar Blvd. They had a small yard and store on the west side of Lamar on one of the side streets around the Oltorf intersection. They carried a good stock of hardwood lumber and plywood. Any Austin area folks remember the name of that outfit. I'm out of town right now and trying to get the info to a friend that wants to pick up some stock for a project this weekend. I went there after Paxton closed their woodworking store. Any suggestions on other suppliers in the Austin area. Thanks.
    Rusty
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

It's been several years since I was at the store on Lamar. I think it was Austin Hardwoods and heard that they closed.

Brazos Forest Products is at the same location where Paxtons was: 600 Industrial 512-443-0777.

You also have Fine Plywood & Lumber, 9407 Brown, 512-836-8990. (NE quadrant of I35/Rundberg)

I think Brazos is closed on Saturdays where FP&L is open 8-noon.

Best to call ahead and get prices.

Ken

Comment

• skillybob
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • Cedar Park, Texas
      • BT3100

I'll second what Ken says about Fine Lumber and Plywood.
      I get all of my stock from them and have never been disappointed.
      I was there just a few days ago and got some nice quarter-sawn white oak.

9407 Brown Lane
      Austin, TX 78754-4000
      (512) 836-8990

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Paxton became Hogan, back to Paxton, then sold out to Brazos. The store is still open but they are geared to the contractor now. Both John Duffy and David Dick retired when Brazos bought the operation.

Austin Hardwoods was bought out by Bluelinx. They are on the east side of 35 south of Ben White, I think on S Industrial. 512 442 4001 I haven't bought from them but they carry a good stock.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

I found out too late...bought about 90bf of lumber at Brazos and found out later that they give you a price break if more than 100bf.
          Ken

Comment

• sailtravis
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2005
            • Wimberley, Texas
            • BT-3100

Thanks guys... good info. I've pointed my buddy in the right directions. I guess its been longer than I thought since I bought nice stock. I bought some when Paxton's closed the retail store and some shortly after that at Austin Hardwoods. Good to get updated.

Guess that is what happens when the honey do list turns away from woodworking and more to fixing up the house with plumbing and electrical.
            Rusty

Comment

Working...