• Show
Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

looking for a project

I have a piece of white oak in my stash that I have been contemplating for a few years now. It's approx. 18 1/2 inches wide, 6-7 qtr, and about 6 ft long. It's old straight and true and solid. Needs to be planed still.

I was thinking of using it for a bench seat, but that doesn't sound like a project that would interest me. Then I thought about a blanket chest lid, but that's a lot of weight for a lid, which would be better off with a padded seat/lid anyway.

Just trying to come up with something to do with it. I have other pieces almost as large to supplement the project if needed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I think it would make a great top for the entertainment center that you ought to build for my wife so she would get off my back about the new flat panel TV sitting on her antique chest that houses all of her favourite fabrics which she doesn't really need to be messing with anyways until she gets a bunch of other things in order.
    Erik

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Assuming you don't want to cut it, you could still make it into a table top or a bench seat, but to make it more interesting to work on, do some inlay with it.
      You can inlay almost anything (turquoise is popular) and really give visual interest to the piece. All you need is a router, maybe a dremel tool, something to inlay,a little ca or epoxy, and a bit of patience. Ok, I might have lied about the patience, maybe a bit more than a little!
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by schloff
        Just trying to come up with something to do with it. I have other pieces almost as large to supplement the project if needed.
        What about a couch table or entry table? Those are normally long and narrow.
        Erik

Comment

• phi1l
          • Oct 2009
          • Madison, WI

to me it is just crying out to be some sort of special table or bar top.

Edit:
          maybe a built in kitchen eating/socializing island top...

Comment

• schloff
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Southern Middle TN

Originally posted by phi1l
            to me it is just crying out to be some sort of special table or bar top.

Edit:
            maybe a built in kitchen eating/socializing island top...
            Yea, I was thinking of a table top of some sort. It's really overwhelming to have it next to the smaller stock in my stash.

It should plane nice and clean. It's massive, though. I'll have to take it somewhere to have it planed. My local lumberyard will plane for 15 cents a bd ft.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Another idea might be a cornice board over a focal window. As mentioned earlier, inlays with darker wood species would provide excellent contrast, and lots of opportunity to be artistic. Mixed with some relief carving and inventive staining, it could yield a very interesting and striking piece. Obviously, the overall decor of the room would dictate whether to go for a rustic, contemporary or heirloom look.

Or, don't overlook standing it on one end and doing some carving, totem-style. This could make for a beautiful floor-standing piece next to an entrance or entertainment center.
              Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

How is it milled? Rift cut, plain sawn, quarter sawn? A good piece of QSWO just begs to be resawn and book matched!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• schloff
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Southern Middle TN

Hi, Don.

I haven't looked that deep into the milling. I don't know why, it's been in my way for a couple years now.

Maybe I should just use it for a bonfire? Hahaha

I really need to get it planed. That'll probably make my decision for me on what ot do with it?

Comment

Working...