X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

My BT3100 base, Spruce and Sandeply, an article in the old articles part of this website, includes a router table in the extension table. It, like all router tables I have made, does not use a plate. To me it is just unnecessary additional cost. My extension table uses 3/4 melamine particle board as the top with some stiffener ribs of plywood. I routed the underside to 3/8 thickness in the shape of my PC690 router's fixed base. A hole for the router bit and three for the attachment screws and you have a router table. This will stay flatter than you might think because the thin part is still attached to the rest of the sheet of 3/4 melamine and the thin area is much smaller than a router plate. I made a separate fence of scrap plywood and melamine that adjusts using t-nuts on the under side of the extension table and slotted holes in the fence. It works well but I mainly use my separate router table with a home-made lift in it now. I used the BT3100 extension table setup until I made my latest router table (which also has no router plate). I made multiple raised panel doors on the BT3100 setup. Nothing particularly wrong with it but a dedicated router table, expecially when it has a lift, is nicer (but costs more and takes up more space).

Jim

Comment

• Eagan
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • bloomington, IN
      • rigid r4512

Thank you again

Found a bargain on a New Yankee style router table on Craigslist; it was too nice to pass up and the guy selling it was 15 minutes from home. I feel as if all my lucky stars aligned today.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Eagan, That looks to be a better table by far than the 1 I got last week, but here,s how I would look at your situation. You have a good router in the Dewalt but no lift, Why not sell the DeWalt and get a router with above table adjustment ? This negates the high cost of a router lift and gets you a new router. You should be able to get $120 or more possibly for the DeWalt and the Ridgid Router @ Home Depot minus a 10% discount with a Lowes coupon would be around $180-90 so you would be out of pocket only 70-80 bucks and have a new router with table with above table adjustability
        Last edited by tommyt654; 02-25-2010, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Eagan
          Found a bargain on a New Yankee style router table on Craigslist; it was too nice to pass up and the guy selling it was 15 minutes from home. I feel as if all my lucky stars aligned today.
          How about posting a pic!
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• George Cole
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Eagan
            Hey Hoosier, keep the dewalt...Buy another router..+ 2 hp...with a above table adjustment...The Freud 1700 is a good inexpensive buy..Get the combo..
            You really can't have to many routers...I might also suggest going to the router forums..Many members here are also there..
            Good Luck,
            George Cole (displaced Hoosier)
            "Regulae Stultis Sunt"

Comment

• Eagan
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • bloomington, IN
              • rigid r4512

Thanks. I do have another router; a Freud 2000 equipped with a router raizer. I also have an old Ryobi 1 3/4 job that I can sling under my bt3k, but the depth adjustment on it thing doesn't work too well.

Comment

Working...