• Show
Clear All
  • mfk
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2009
    • Clark County, Washington
    • BT3000

ripping 6x6 fir -- bad idea?

I was thinking of doing this on the BT3000 but thought I better check here first. The 3' long fir was recently milled by a friend but it is too thick & I need to rip it in half. I was thinking of making a few passes, then flipping it over & cutting through, but I would have to take the guard off for this. I recently bought a pair of grr-rippers & was wondering if anyone has cut something that thick using them?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

The guard is not gonna help you anyway, as the work is too thick for the blade to be exposed during the cuts (but keep the riving knife portion on the saw). Your method will work OK, but if you have a bandsaw it would be easier, though not as precise. On the table saw, just remember to flip the workpiece end-to-end, not side to side. This keeps your fence setting properly referenced. You should also use a featherboard or some such to keep the work tight against the fence, and if the piece is long, you should provide some outfeed support. Make your first cut about an inch deep, and then increase the depth another 1/2"-3/4" on the subsequent passes. Do the flip just after the piece is cut halfway through, and repeat the steps (your max blade height is only about 3-1/2" anyway). Do not stand in the line of fire, in case you get a kickback. Do not feed the work too fast, and give the saw a chance to cool between passes if you think it is working too hard. Also, have some wooden shims on hand to wedge the kerf open and keep the blade from being pinched. Things will be easier if you have a helper, but make sure not to get in each others' way.

Caveat: I'm assuming the 6x6 is dry and straight. If not, the difficulty goes up considerably. Oh, and a Grripper is a useful tool, but take the other precautions, too. Be aware of any knots and how they might affect the cut, and be prepared to have to sand or plane the cut face, as multiple cuts don't leave the smoothest of surfaces.
    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 09-13-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

+1 on everything UC said.

One more thing I'd do is add an extension to the rip fence if the 6x6 piece has any length. Trying to keep a long 6x6 snug to the standard fence may be a little tricky.

Oh, and I'd use a full-kerf blade and use more passes (raising the blade a little less each time).
      Last edited by cgallery; 09-13-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Only one thing to add to that. Use a sharp, clean blade.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gary
          • May 2004
          • Versailles, KY, USA.

I'd not do it on a BT. Do you have a friend that has a bandsaw? Be smart, be safe!
          Gary

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

You should use a ripping blade, 32T or less.

Comment

• mfk
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2009
              • Clark County, Washington
              • BT3000

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Ditto on C-Man's blade advice. Lowe's and HD sell a Frued 24T coated ripping blade that won't break the bank.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

What the others have said. Incase I missed this, or it wasn't there, do not rip all the way through. Leave a little wood in the middle and finish the cut with a hand saw.
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...