• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjwaldren
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Fresno, CA

Definitive guide to finishing?

I know I've seen some recommendations around here before, but can't locate them. If you had only one book on finishing, what would it be?

I usually avoid it, I don't enjoy it much. I just finished a project (Bathroom Cabinets) that came out very nice but not quite what I wanted. I'd like to practice on some scraps and really learn what I'm doing before continuing to the largest project (Kitchen Cabinets/Wainscoting).

Edit...
    Same question for tile... The guest bath and laundry room have become my proving grounds.
    Last edited by rjwaldren; 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The two titles recommended most often seem to be "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner, and "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide To Finishing" by Jeff Jewitt.

From what I've read, either will serve you well. I own the former, but have only thumbed through the latter in the bookstores.
    Larry

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

As with any "how to" books its difficult to find a "definitive" one. I like the tauton series and have quite a few but also like this one.

Foolproof Finishing
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• pbui3057
        Established Member
        • Jul 2008
        • Mather, CA
        • BT3000

If you are interested in the Taunton books, there are a few that are on sale right now for 50% off. http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/catalog/finishing. They also have a lot of woodworking books on sale as well.

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Flexner's book which Larry mentioned in the second post is very good, I can recommend it.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

RJ,
            Good information above. I would like to add that before a good guide to a finish is first having a desire to have to a good finish. I read between the lines that you are there.

Few people are willing to devote as much time to the finish as to the construction. Good construction is wonderful, but it is usually the "finish" that invites to: "Look at me, touch me, feel me!"

In all honesty, I don't always do everything right in finishes, but I have learned to devote or allow the time for paints and finishes to cure before moving on to the next step. That was hard. I just had to accept the fact that an extra day or extra week in a project set aside for the "finish" was practically nothing over a years time, but the extra week or days devoted to the finish certainly made itself known over the long run.
            Last edited by leehljp; 05-19-2009, 03:34 AM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• rjwaldren
              Established Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Fresno, CA

Yes, patience must be learned, I took about 1.5 weeks to refinish the bathroom cabinets and it paid off. I'm now on a break before going back after the ONE RAIL of a rail-stile door that would not take stain. The entire project looks great except for that one 12"x3" section.

I learn a lot on the project, #1 was take your time.

Thanks for the advice guys I was hoping the taunton books would be the ticket since they always have good sales. The index of "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide To Finishing" loks like the winner. Though I may put "Foolproof Finishes" to the test.

Comment

• Gator95
                Established Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Atlanta GA
                • Ridgid 3660

Flexner's book was a good basic overview.

Also recommend Andy Charron's "Water-Based Finishes", particularly if you are going to be doing any spray work.

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Gator95
                  Flexner's book was a good basic overview.

Also recommend Andy Charron's "Water-Based Finishes", particularly if you are going to be doing any spray work.
                  Thanks for that recommendation. I've pretty much completely switched over to water-based finishes, and was interested in a good reference! Just ordered one from Powells.com
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

and "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide To Finishing" by Jeff Jewitt.
                    This recommendation combined with Taunton's 50% off sale convinced me to buy it (okay, that and a pretty horrible job I did of staining a bench!). I can certainly say that the book is thorough. I skimmed through it and there are about 150 pages of everything you ever want to know about brushes, rollers, spray guns, plus shellacs, oils, strippers, buffs, and cleaning instructions, followed by 50 pages of some common finishes and directions for them. I do not know that I will set down with the first 150 pages and just read it, but I think I can have my wife point to a finish she likes in the back, then start reading up on it and go from there.

From the little that I did read, however, Jeff and his editors did a great job in writing for people who have no clue. I bought some other books and you get the vague instructions like, "if it is not square, then true it up" (but how???); this book assumes no knowledge at all and treats you like a true neophyte. Which I most definitely am

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

There are many books from varied authors that are very good. I wouldn't say that any single one is the definitive answer. If you have a cross section of several of the top authors, it's a good basis for information. Just reading will not make one a finisher, it takes experimenting with whatever knowledge gleaned from those sources. I think that's called the "Book Of Hard Knocks".

Comment

• rjwaldren
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Fresno, CA

Yeah, I read Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide To Finishing and though I don't think the problem I have at hand is resolved in it's pages I learned a lot.

I also found that, though I'm happy with the outcome on my recent project, the book covers what I should have done to get what I was really trying for.

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Taunton's Finishes and Finishing Techniques: Professional Secrets for Simple and Beautiful Finishes from Fine Woodworking takes some of the best articles from Fine Woodworking and puts them together in a book form. Each chapter is a different article from Fine Woodworking and involves a different finish or technique. It has a gazillion photos in color. I've found this book to be very informative.
                          Richard
                          Richard

Comment

Working...