• Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Reclaimed Lumber

Ran acrossed this ad today on CraigsList:

370 board feet of oak most of it is 2 inches thick 8 to 22 inches wide 10 to 14 feet long. . This oak is said to been cut in the 1900. Has nail holes like most reclaimed lumber. Its rough sawn $250.

What are your thoughts on reclaimed lumber? The dimensions are promising, and we have a tentative bunk bed in the planning stages I can use as the driver for the cost and to have extra for other use.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

$.68 per bf? Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

JR
    JR

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

What JR said. I can't buy MDF that cheaply! It would be a racehorse deal in any case, but for (mostly) 8/4 material in those lengths and widths ... why aren't you already there loading it up???
      Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Unless you're adverse to having a old nail hole show up in a piece, reclaimed lumber can be a good source. I'd invest in a good metal wand and use it before running it through a machine though.

I made a kitchen cart out of some oak my BIL got from some cooling tower part pallets a few years back. The holes and discoloration around them gave it an unusual character.
        Erik

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Ditto Pellingrini on the cheap metal detector. And... a good deal if.. if you have the tools to joint and plane into usable wood as you stated it was "rough" stock which is going to require a bit of work to prep.

Comment

• bfrikken
            • Apr 2005
            • Michigan, USA.
            • BT-3100

I'm waiting on an OK from my wife to even consider it. But I wanted some quick impressions I've just spent time cleaning the garage and shed to do some projects, and this will affect the space I just created.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Originally posted by bfrikken
              i'm waiting on an ok from my wife to even consider it. But i wanted some quick impressions i've just spent time cleaning the garage and shed to do some projects, and this will affect the space i just created.
              yes, but in such a good way!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

Nothing wrong with reclaimed lumber. I've built many a project with it. Just like the other guys said, watch for metal.
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                  Ditto Pellingrini on the cheap metal detector. And... a good deal if.. if you have the tools to joint and plane into usable wood as you stated it was "rough" stock which is going to require a bit of work to prep.
                  If I was going to work a decent amount of the stuff I'd get a nice metal detector. The cheap ones I have haven't been sensitive enough.

Oh, and I'd keep some cheap blades or the table saw and knives for the jointer. Just in case.

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Nothing wrong with reclaimed anything so long as it's in decent condition. I have a shop that's mostly "reclaimed" or "recycled" tools and I'm wearing a "reclaimed " shirt as I write this.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I have some nice oak I got when my BIL built an addition onto an old house. There are nail holes, you they can be pretty easy to work around or hide depending on the project.
                      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...