• Show
Clear All
  • 3thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Northern Colorado
    • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Delta 36-979

Does anyone own, or have tried the Delta 36-979-980 series table saw?
    Lowes has them at a very reasonable price, and I am tempted.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I had the predecessor of that saw in my shop a couple of years ago (36-680). It's a very solid contractor saw. The T2 fence is a very good steel t-square style fence. The 36-980 (979 w/fence) offers left and a built in mobile base vs the 680, and typically gets high marks from owners. No glaring reasons not to get it if a traditional contractor style saw suits your needs.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I bought that saw and the Biesemeyer fence when it was on clearance. I've enjoyed it. It's my 2nd table saw.

I'd recommend getting the "PALS" once you have it. I won't say it's an easy way but it's an EASIER way to align the miter slots to the blade. I really got it it dialed in with those and have been happy with the results.

That saw with the Bies fence is very nice. Very solid. I'm a hobby woodworker and this is as much or more saw than I need.

Keep in mind that the saw doesn't come with the rails / fence. It's the saw and two cast iron wings. You'll have to buy a rail/fence system to go with it. The T2, the Delta Unifence or the Biesmeyer version.

Steve
      Last edited by ssmith1627; 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I also got it last year after scoring on the Bies fence clearance. I haven't been in the shop much since I got it, but I've been very pleased with the saw the little I have used it. It was pretty much dead on out of the box.

Hope you have help loading/unloading, it is extremely heavy. Base assembly was somewhat tricky. I think the base was designed by a 6 year old. You either have to have TIIINY hands or do what I did and make use of a magnet on a stick.

Wings were not too hard to put on, but I used a rolling table and some 2x stock to help get it up high enough.

I'm using it on 120V and seems to have enough power right now for what I do. I may go 240 if I ever get any real time in the shop.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

Have seen that model in Lowes, many times. It appears to be a sturdily built saw. Last year Lowes had the fire sale on the Unifence, and Biesemeyer. I have the unifence, but it is still in the original box.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...