how to sand

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • old folks
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2008
    • 13

    #1

    how to sand

    I am ripping 2x2x1/2 inch corian into 3 equal sections to scroll saw necklases but I am having trouble sanding out the saw marks. Please tell me there is a way to do the sanding other than by hand... takes way to much time.

    Thank you

    old folks
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 2793
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

    #2
    Originally posted by old folks
    I am ripping 2x2x1/2 inch corian into 3 equal sections to scroll saw necklases but I am having trouble sanding out the saw marks. Please tell me there is a way to do the sanding other than by hand... takes way to much time.

    Thank you

    old folks
    I've never tried to cut Corian before, but I wonder if a diamond blade might leave a smoother cut. Are you using a circular saw? Perhaps a miter saw with a high-tooth-count blade will eliminate saw marks.

    Might try using some sort of disc/belt sander with fine paper, too.

    g.
    Smit

    "Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

    Comment

    • JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • 4187
      • Lexington, SC.

      #3
      I would use a finishing sander. Usually when sanding goes too slowly it is because I did not start coarse enough. For instance, I needed to sand some frames for a cabinet - made like flat panel doors - a few nights ago. I started with 80 grit disks in my random orbit sander and use that to flatten the joints. Then I switched to 100 grit and got rid of the scratches made by the 80 grit. Tonight I plan to route an edge detail and then sand with 150 grit. I will do 220 after assembly onto the cabinet.

      Each grit erases the scratches of the last sanding. The first has to eliminate the scratches from the cutting. If you gradually refine the surface, it takes less sanding. If I tried to eliminate saw marks with 220 grit, I would sand for a long time - regardless of how I did it.

      Jim

      Comment

      • Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • 7091
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

        #4
        There are two types of sanding... material removal (shaping) and finishing. You must do the first first, and the second second. And you must use the grits, strokes and pressures suited to each. It just won't work any other way. Remember that mechanical sanding can bring speed and uniformity, but can also leave deep gouges and other problems, such as clogged paper, because the material was removed at too high a speed. Sometimes, it takes more time to do it right. Use a light touch for best results, and coarser grit instead of more pressure. Corian is also susceptible to heat damage from pounding the paper to it too hard. Won't really burn, but will resist taking a good finish if allowed to get too hot.

        Comment

        Working...