• Show
Clear All
  • avaserfi
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Ames, IA
    • No room for one - yet. :(

More tool help

I am back in IA after visiting my parents and using my dads tools as long as I could. Now I need to pick up a jig saw, drill and bit set for myself. I am looking to spend between $100-150 for everything.

I am not opposed to buying used or factory reconditioned, but don't really know what to look for in terms of brands or model numbers. Also, I don't want any cordless units as they drive me nuts.

Thanks for all the suggestions you guys sent me in a great direction with my router!
    -Andrew
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Take a look at the Bosch jig saws, they are typically considered the best for the money. In tool tests they came in second only to the Festool, which is 3+ times more expensive. I have the 1587 and it's been great. The 1590 is better though, but depending upon the price that you can get, the 1587 may be a better deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1587AVSK...6298161&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1590EVSK...6298161&sr=1-3

Before I had a band saw, the 1587 did all of my curve work. And it still does some of that work, as you cannot get huge pieces onto the bandsaw due to the depth limit.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• avaserfi
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2007
      • Ames, IA

I believe my dad actually has the 1587 its a great tool. I used it not to long ago for one of the speakers I built. Any drill suggestions?
      -Andrew

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

There are any number of corded drills on the market that will do the job. You want a 3/8 chuck, variable speed, and reversable. Ther are pros and cons to keyed or keyless chucks. Keyless are more convenient but do have a tendency to let the bit spin sometimes.

For bits, it depends on what you will be doing. A lot of work in metals will take either HHS or cobalt bits. Mostly woodworking the best bits are brad points and forstners. There are other, specialty bits like tapered but these will get you going.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• gearbuilder
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2007
          • N.W. Indiana
          • Delta

I have the Bosch 1587 that I bought used at a pawn shop. I like the orbital feature and the quick blade changes.

Jamie

Comment

• avaserfi
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2007
            • Ames, IA

I was looking at something like this for the drill. I am near positive I have used this specific drill before and liked it. Anyone know any reason I should avoid this drill or look at a different one?

As far as the bits go I will probably head to Home Depot or Lowes and see what they have to offer in terms of sets unless someone else has a better idea.

Thanks.
            -Andrew

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

tool help

I'll throw in my two cents worth here on the drill, most corded drills will get the job done for you, if you want a good one that will last a lifetime....
              buy a Milwaukee. They will cost a little more, but are worth it in the long run.
              eezlock

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
                There are any number of corded drills on the market that will do the job. You want a 3/8 chuck, variable speed, and reversable. Ther are pros and cons to keyed or keyless chucks. Keyless are more convenient but do have a tendency to let the bit spin sometimes.

For bits, it depends on what you will be doing. A lot of work in metals will take either HHS or cobalt bits. Mostly woodworking the best bits are brad points and forstners. There are other, specialty bits like tapered but these will get you going.

I go along with Pappy on this one and to add that try to find a drill that's at least 5-6 amps or more.

For the jig saw, look for one that's at least 5 amps, and has a 1" stroke.

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by avaserfi

I am not opposed to buying used or factory reconditioned, but don't really know what to look for in terms of brands or model numbers. Also, I don't want any cordless units as they drive me nuts.
                  I've bought a few recons from these guys, including the 1591EVSK which I love (once I tried it, I tossed my old Craftsman jigsaw...it just no longer seemed worthy even for dirty cuts!).

http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditio...saws/jig_saws/

Looks like they don't have any recon 1591's right now, but they do have a 1590 for about $120. I think the only difference is barrel-grip vs. top handle. I know it's pushing your budget, but man they are sweet saws!

As far as a drill: I'm on the side of those who say any corded drill will do. 1/2" chuck is more versatile than 3/8, but for general work it's not really necessary.
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I have two DeWalts like you illustrate. One has a keyed chuck and one a keyless. I would get the keyed if this drill is to do everything but the keyless will save you a little time on bit changes. I have not used a Milwaukee but I've had my DeWalts a long time, 10-15 years and never wanted a different drill.

I also have a Bosch jig saw and recommend it highly. I was pleasantly surprised by my Ryobi cordless jig saw, however. LOML got it for me for Christmas (I wanted the reciprocal but this is what she thought I meant and it is still a nice gift). If money is tight, a corded Ryobi might serve you nicely for a few years. The cordless is only a 3/4 stroke and it seems kind of useless at the larger orbits but at a 0 or 1 it cuts well and the blade changes are easy.

Tools are for me always a balancing act. I would have saved quite a bit of money if I had purchased better tools in several cases (like routers). I do not think you will regret the DeWalt corded drill. I do not know about lessor jigsaws. I had one I considered pretty useless but my son thinks it is OK. Spending a little more to get the Bosch would assure you that you won't have to replace it later.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Harbor Freight drill bits. Nothing special but they work well and they are inexpensive. I thought they might dull fast or chip readily but they have done neither. I mainly drill wood but have used them in mild steel and other softer metals.

Jim

Comment

• avaserfi
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Ames, IA

Thanks everyone I picked up a Dewalt D21008K corded drill and the Bosch 1587AVSK together they costed about $130 shipped . Can't wait to get them in the mail and continue work on these speakers...now if I just knew a place to sell me Jamos ...
                      -Andrew

Comment

Working...