Clear All
  • ejlamber
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2008
    • Sacramento, CA

Air Compressor Recommendations

Hi all,

Great forum.

I am a new woodworking and I shopping around for an air compressor that I can use primarily with a nailer and hopefully a HVLP spary gun. I am not sure what criteria to look for in a compressor to meet both these requirements. Any suggestions? I hoping to keep the cost down if possible too.

Thanks,

Erik
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Erik,

For nailers, particularly finish, brad and pin nailers, nearly any compressor will work. For HVLP, however, you need a lot more air. I have a Bostitch 6 gallon 1.5hp that I bought with a finish nailer. It will barely drive my Wagner conversion gun (HVLP). It would not drive many HVLP guns and will only work with the Wagner when all 3 adjustments are right - but when things are set up right it works well and the compressor does not even run constantly (just almost all the time).

If you are serious about HVLP, I would get as big a compressor as possible (big ones need 220V in addition to costing more, however). If you will mostly be driving nailers, then a little one like I have will work as long as you are careful to get a gun that will work on lower air requirements (the wagner from Gleem paint is my recommendation - it's about $125). The biggest compressor that will work on a 110V circuit would be another option that would be plenty for any nailer and should work for a wider range of HVLP conversion guns and settings. There is a HF that draws at least 15A on a 110V circuit and provides nearly twice the air as my little Bostitch. It can be had for under $150 on sale.

Oil units probably last longer and are quieter than oil-less. You will need a filter when you spray but you need one with oil-less anyway (for moisture and anything else that gets into the air).

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You might check out this current thread.

Comment

• ejlamber
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2008
        • Sacramento, CA

Thanks to you both.

I should have used search.

Comment

• DonHo
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman 21829

I can't comment on what requirements a compressor would need to run a HPLV gun but you might want to check with your Sears store for reconditioned compressors. I had bought the small Sears 3 gal oil compressor that usually sells for around $99 three years ago and I had a problem with it ( warranty had run out ). Of course it was going to cost more to fix it than to buy a new one but the guys in the repair center (where they also sell the reconditioned tools) showed me several larger compressors for much less money. I ended up with a 7 gal, 1 1/2 hp compressor with a 2 year warranty for $82. It's much more than able to run my brad and pin nailers. As for the HPLV, you might want to check the HF unit, it's on sale for $69 now. I have the unit (it's the same unit sold by Rockler) and have been happy with it.

DonHo
          Don

Comment

Working...