• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

How soon do mesquite borers hatch?

They will be clearing a lot across the street and there is one small mesquite tree and rest are cedar. The clearing company will pull the mesquite tree up with a backhoe and leave it for me. It will be 2-3 weeks before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone know how soon the bugs will hatch? The wood I want to keep should be big enough for turning bottle stoppers and other small things.

I was thinking of cutting the limbs into workable pieces and turn enough to take the bark off and then finish later.

Any thoughts?

TIA
    Ken
  • Red88chevy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Midland, Texas.

Ken,

Don't know much about the Mes borer. Not sure if all Mesquite have them, or are only
    some trees infected. Have seen a pile of mesquite sitting on a trailer that supposedly
    had the borers in them. You could stand and watch the sawdust falling off through the
    bottom of the trailer. Mesquite wood that has been kiln dried should kill them, but if you
    don't want to mess with having that done you could just use it for BBQ. Have seen lots
    of nice projects made from the cedar, you may want any big pieces of that also. Would
    search on the Internet, let us know what you find out.

Good Luck,
    Doug

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

This does not answer your question but might be a good place to start.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...