• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jormic
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

Which router?

Hello everyone,

I was fortunately enough to get a great deal on the Freud RTP 1000 router table and know I'm trying to decide on a router. I currently own a PC 690 with plunge base and would like to keep a router permanently on the table.

I like the Freud FT1700VCEK 2-1/4 Router, I can pick one up this month on Amazon for $152 delivered. Any opinions on price and performance? I' m a novice so my needs are minimal for now.

Thanks
    jormic
    FL
    Positive rates/Gear up.
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

If your needs are minimal right now, then just pull the router out of the table when you need it hand held.

Personally, I rarely hand hold a router, I can almost always work the profile on the table.

This way you keep the money available, and you can "wait" for a great deal on a router in the future.

Just my nickels worth.

Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

There's an FT1700 in my router table now, and I'm very pleased with it...the above table bit changes are great. I've also got a MW5625 that's very good, but I prefer the features of the FT1700 better for most applications. I prefer the FT1700 over my old FT2000E too. I also have a Bosch 1617 I keep for handuse, and had a MW5615...the FT1700 is my favorite table router over all those.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Luckbox
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Holly Springs, NC

I have the Bosch 1617 and I have a secondary fixed base with the above table adjustment. The secondary fixed base is left in my router table that way I can use the same motor either handheld or in the table.
        I love lamp.

Comment

• Crash2510
          • Feb 2006
          • North Central Ohio

i have the ft1700 and a ft2200(w router raizer) in my table IMHO the ft1700 is a great router that will handle most anything i throw at it. The above table bit change and height adjustment are very simple and convenient. If you do not plan on using large profiles much the 1700 would be plenty of router
          Phil In Ohio
          The basement woodworker

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

You can get an extra base for the PC690 from Rocklers for about $40. It's very easy to move the motor if the base is already screwed into the table. I have four bases and two motors so I can have a base attached a couple places and still have a plunge and fixed base available for freehand use.

Comment

Working...