• Show
Clear All
  • catta12
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Reno, NV
    • BTS20R

Favorite WW Magazine?

I was just wondering what wood working magazines you like the best? I have been using the internet as my main source of wood working information and am thinking about getting a subscription to a magazine as well.

Thanks for any replies!

Alan
    If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I personally like Fine Woodworking the best but it might not be the best for rookie woodworkers, featured projects have seemed to be rather advanced IMHO or requiring more than a modest assortment of tools. For those with less experience American Woodworker, Shop Notes, Wood and their like may be a better choice if one is using the magazine for project ideas. Having said all of that I have not purchased any magazines in over a year and it has been some time since I even thumbed through one at the grocery store.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

For me - ShopNotes - nothing else comes close - for us Jig freaks

I'm proud to say I have a copy of every one published. And over the years, I flip thru them and discover "new" things as my interests change.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

This question comes up often, but it's always worth revisiting. Mark covered it pretty well ... Fine Woodworking and WOOD always emerge as favorites, with FWW being more suitable for intermediate to advanced WWers and WOOD geared toward the less experienced. I'd also add Popular Woodworking to his list in the latter category.

Both Shop Notes and Woodsmith (from the same publisher) are well-regarded, although I personally don't find enough truly new and useful content in either to make a subscription worthwhile. I typically buy two or three copies of Shop Notes each year, and maybe one issue of Woodsmith. Both of these have zero advertising; as Rod says, Shop Notes is mostly about jigs and fixtures and workstations, whereas Woodsmith contains mostly furniture-type projects.

The one almost everyone dislikes is Woodworker's Journal. Too many ads, and some (myself included) find the content shallow.

My usual suggestion, for those unfamiliar with the various mags, is to check your local library for back issues; failing that, spend some time browsing them on the newsstands and see which one grabs you. Maybe buy one or two issues before committing to a subscription. They're all about woodworking, but they're all a bit different in focus.
        Last edited by LarryG; 01-04-2008, 12:11 PM.
        Larry

Comment

• jspelbring
          Established Member
          • Nov 2004
          • Belleville, IL, USA.
          • Craftsman 22114

Woodworking Magazine

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/index.asp

It's my current favorite, along with Christopher Schwartz's blog.
          To do is to be.

Comment

• ars_lurker
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2006
            • Iowa
            • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

I enjoy Wood and Shopnotes. Woodsmith is pretty good too but I find I am reading Wood more than any other.

Comment

• TomKo
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2006

I think ShopNotes is the best ... but the one magazine that has inspired the most woodworking projects for me personally is The Family Handyman. I think it is the best out there for eager beginners. I've used TFH's designs for many projects... I'm currently working on a 16' long, 9' high library wall/entertainment center which is a modified version of the "Grand Bookcase" plans in the December/January 2006 issue. I have basically added 8 inches to the depth, and doubled the width. The cabinets are done... and dry fit into place... just need to complete the coutnter top - and need a few more sheets of Oak plywood - the weather hasn't been cooperating for an open air run to the local supplier! If this turns out well - I'll be doing it again because this is actually the prototype for the backbar I will be building in my basement.

Comment

• lkazista
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Nazareth, PA, USA.

The plans in WOOD really seem to be the easiest to follow, they even show how to break down your wood for the most effective use.

They are good tho.

I agree with Rod, I always find myself revisting the mags for ideas that I either missed, or that didn't seem to make sense when I was a bit more of a novice.

Lee

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

I like ShopNotes, Wood, and Woodsmith. I also subscribe to Family Handyman, even though it is not a dedicated woodworking magazine. It has a lot of "how to" articles and a lot of good tips. My subscription to Woodworker's Journal expired, and won't be renewed.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I currently subscribe to Wood and Fine Woodworking. In the past I subscribed to Woodsmith and I still have a lot of back issues I use for plans. Woodsmith and Shopnotes are from the same outfit and you can buy their plans in the form of a pdf file over the internet. I do that sometimes when I like one of their plans and do not have that issue.

I like FWW but have built only one piece from their plans. I like reading it and I think they do noticably better tests of tools than Wood does and have generally better articles and much prettier pictures but I think it is a bit of a luxury. If you want plans and practical advice, the others are better. For me, it isn't so much that the plans are difficult or require tools I do not have, it is more that Fine Woodworking doesn't have all that many plans and they are often something we don't need or a style we don't want.

I consistently pick up American Woodworker's router issue. It should be out soon. The lift in my router table is based upon their design and I've gotten other good ideas fairly consistently from that issue.

Jim

Comment

• Doug Jones
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Indiana
                      • Delta 36-444

WOOD magazine for me. And a proud owner of every issue published.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

FWW all the way. Subscribe to FWW and then pay the $20 or so annual subscription for their online service which contains TONS of resources, videos, equipment reviews, etc. Or you could dedicate 4ft of shelf space to getting every issue of FWW like I did. LOL.

American Woodworker is decent but only if you find a killer deal on it.

Wood is decent and you can generally find good deals on it as well.

As far as Family Handyman, that magazine ended up in wifeys hands and resulted in too much work for me!

Comment

• kevincan
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Central Illinois
                          • Craftsman 21829

The only one I subscribe to right now is Wood. I will pick up one of the other mags if they have anything interesting in that issue.

Has anyone signed up for Fine Woodworking's online service? They say you get all of the current mag's content plus more. You are also able to search and read past issues.

Kevin

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

I get WOOD... (even though I can't always use it...)

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by kevincan
                              Has anyone signed up for Fine Woodworking's online service? They say you get all of the current mag's content plus more. You are also able to search and read past issues.

Kevin
                              Yep. See my post above yours. FWW online is a very good value IMHO.

Comment

Working...