which 10" saw blade for compund miter saw?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

which 10" saw blade for compund miter saw?

am a weekend handyman, will have to tackle wall molding and simple shelves etc.

I have bought a HF SCMS, and will need a cost effective blade for my use. I am not sure of the quality at HF blade, any recommendation for <$50 blade?

thanks,

gychang
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Freud LU91M010 10-Inch 60 Tooth ATB Crosscutting Miter Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor

$40 shipped after "BLDPROMO" code...excellent choice.

The LU91R010 with Permashield is a few dollars more:

The CMT 253.060.10 is ~ $43 with the same promo:
    Last edited by Knottscott; 12-16-2007, 09:53 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Sawatzky
      Established Member
      • Apr 2005
      • CA
      • Ridgid TS3650

Those are all great blades. I have had good results with the Hitachi 72 tooth blade. If you can catch it on sale it is a good deal. I bought mine at Lowes last year, and have been using it all year. It still cuts great and has not been sharpened.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Generally speaking without going into specific brands, I use a 60T, ATB, neg hook, carbide tipped blade. I will change to an 80T for some mouldings.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by gychang
          am a weekend handyman, will have to tackle wall molding and simple shelves etc.

I have bought a HF SCMS, and will need a cost effective blade for my use. I am not sure of the quality at HF blade, any recommendation for <$50 blade?

thanks,

gychang
          Whatever you decide on Gychang, keep in mind your compound miter is a Sliding Compound Miter. It would be best to get a blade with a negative ( - ) degree hook as Cabinetman mentioned. On a standard compound miter saw you can use the standard positive ( + ) hook, but on a standard miter saw it should be in the range of + 7 to +10 degrees. That gives somewhat of a less agressive cut than a TS blade with will usually be +15 degrees and usually more.

If you notice the Freud posted.. it says TK (thin kerf) sliding and radial saw. The minus or negative hook help keep the stock pushed to the table and especially fence on these type of saws as the teeth cut on the up stroke as opposed to down on a TS. If you google the Freud that was posted... it has a -5 (minus 5) degree angle on the teeth. It's the same one I run on my Hitachi 12" SCMS in a 72 tooth. I used to run that one when I had a 10" SCMS.

Hope my explanation is clear.... ?

Good luck...

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Gychang, I have had great success running a 10" Freud coated blade in my SCM. I have cut 1k+ ln ft of trim with same blade and its just as sharp today as it was a year ago.
            Last edited by chopnhack; 01-06-2008, 09:59 PM.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• gychang
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Sacramento, California
              • none

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
              Whatever you decide on Gychang, keep in mind your compound miter is a Sliding Compound Miter. It would be best to get a blade with a negative ( - ) degree hook as Cabinetman mentioned.

Good luck...
              thanks much, all great tips for this newbie. now have to find the best deal...

gychang

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by gychang
                thanks much, all great tips for this newbie. now have to find the best deal...

gychang
                How 'bout a 'return of the favor' to the group, since you're on a current price search. Please post what you finally did and the best prices.

TIA!
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

Working...