• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Great Woodworking books...

Ok folks, its the season of giving so lets share our collective knowleddge. Please post a woodworking book that you found particularly useful or enjoyed reading.

Jim Tolpin's Table Saw Magic

Although somewhat choppy, lots of good jigs can be gleaned from the book!
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

The New Woodworker Handbook by Tom Hintz. (ISBN 978-1-56523-297-6) Just a great all around read for the novice and pro alike.

Comment

• Stormbringer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Floral Park, NY
      • Bosch 4000

Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Great Wood Finishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Beautiful Results by Jeff Jewitt

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Classic Joints With Power Tools by Yeung Chan.

Massive +1 on the Hylton router book.
          Larry

Comment

• Garasaki
            • Sep 2006

Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner
            -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
            -Henry Blake

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Great Wood Finishes - ISBN-10: 1561582883 – Jeff Jewitt – Taunton Press - A comprehensive book reviewing the various stains, dyes, finishes and methods of application. Covers some advanced techniques such as multi-layer glazing, refinishing and surface prep. Solid 5 star book and required reading for those interested in getting ahead of the finishing curve.

Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish - ISBN-10: 0762106212 – Bob Flexner - Readers Digest – This book supplements the Flexner book rather well. This is a more technical approach to the finishes themselves rather than the application of finishes. Flexner has a very in depth knowledge of the subject matter. Warning: Flexner has no problem letting you know that he is aware of his greatness on the subject matter. Some folks call it “hard hitting” others think it is just abrasive. Either way, there is some great information in this book. This and the Jewitt book will set you back about $30 and could easily be the only two books you will ever need on the subject matter. 4 star book.

Table Saw Magic - ISBN-10: 1558706771 – Jim Tolpin - Popular Woodworking Books – This book is highly regarded for all aspects of table saws. From picking a table saw, to alignment, set up, use and tons of jigs this book comprehensive in its approach. So I have no solid explanation as to why I did not like this book. I admittedly am not a “jiggist” so maybe that was my problem with the book. However, even if one is into jigs I found the rough sketches of jigs rather than actual plans to be disappointing. I don’t think the set up and alignment section was all that comprehensive. I found a FWW article that was much better on table saw set up and alignment. Amazon reviewers give it 4 out of 5 stars. I personally rate it much lower at 2.5 stars.

The Handplane Book - ISBN-10: 1561587125 – Garrett Hack – Taunton Press – Remember the U2 song, “Still Haven’t Found What I Am Looking For”? That is kind of the way I feel about this book. This book has a lot of strengths. It covers a wide range of planes, scrapers, specialty planes, etc. It has history, plane mechanics, tuning a plane, plane makers and has tons of wonderful photos. I guess my issue with this is that I was looking for two specific things. First, I wanted to know how to use a plane and two how to tune a plane. Out of the 260 pages 42 pages were devoted to this material. Don’t get me wrong, it gave me some of the basics but the treatment was kind of middle of the road. Too simple for advanced users and too vague for beginning users who may need more info. Having said that I did enjoy the book in its entirety thus giving it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Edit: This is such a frequently asked question I decided to create a Word document where I review my library of WWing books. The ones above just happen to be first on the shelves, except the finishing books which I specifically included due to their overall greatness.
              Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 12-13-2007, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                • Feb 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.

Originally posted by Garasaki
                Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner
                Absolutely an amazing book for anyone that needs to apply finish to wood.
                Tom Hintz
                NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• dkerfoot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Holland, Michigan
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                  I'll 2nd that.

While on the topic, something I frequently forget - try your local library first. I have found some great books in mine.

Including coincidently; Woodworking with the Router and Understanding Wood Finishing!
                  Last edited by dkerfoot; 12-13-2007, 07:20 PM.
                  Doug Kerfoot
                  "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  KeyLlama.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Ditto on Understanding Wood Finishes and Router Magic, I have read both and like them too.

Comment

• siloamga
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Siloam, Georgia
                      • BT3100

Few years back I scanned the entire BT3 site and pulled together a list of all the books that folks seemed to like. Here is a link to that thread...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=613

Probably time to update the thread. Just haven't had time...been too busy reading and making sawdust.

Keith
                      I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977).

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Awesome, thanks ever so much for your efforts!

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

"Understanding Wood" by Hoadley. This book has helped me tremendously in recognizing wood movement, temp and humidity. This book is not about joints and finishing but about the characteristics of wood, upon which cuts, joints, finishing and painting can be properly accomplished. It is about why woods do what they do. Great book!
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bluzcat
                            Forum Newbie
                            • May 2003
                            • Gosport, IN, USA.
                            • BT-3100 & Jet Cabinet Saw

While probably not for everyone, "The Art of Segmented Turning" by Malcolm Tibbets is a great book. He makes a very complicated looking piece look do-able. If you have never checked out his websight, The Tahoe Turner, you're in for a treat!

http://www.tahoeturner.com/
                            \"He who dies with the most clamps, WINS!\"

Comment

• jziegler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Salem, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Another vote for Woodworking with the Router.

Add Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking by Tage Frid (there are 3 volumes, I have only the first two).

If you're interested in hand cut dovetails, The Complete Dovetail: Handmade Furniture's Signature Joint by Ian Kirby is very good.

For plans, all of the Danny Prolux books are very good. Pick what you'd like to make and get the book that covers it.

Jim

Comment

Working...