• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Ellis
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Rosenberg, TX, USA.
    • BT3000

which TS to buy?

I am new to woodworking, I need to buy a TS and have limited space. With the Bt3100 no longer an option, which table saw would you buy?
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

There is a Craftsman version of the BT, which is the same saw with a few newer uprades such as a mobile base and all the router mounting hardware. It can ofter be found on sale for less that $400.00. Those who have it seem to like it. You can also check Craigslist for a used one as well as ebay.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you want a BT, the Sears 21829 is essentially a Ryobi made BT3100 with some addons, upgrades, and a mobile base. I haven't used one personally, but owners report favorable comments. They go on sale in the $350+ range.

I'd also consider something like the Jet 708100 hybrid. It's a full size cast iron saw with a belt drive induction motor that's mounted inside the enclosure, which save space, improves dust collection, and has a shorter drive belt than a saw with an external motor. They go on sale in the $400 range.
      Last edited by Knottscott; 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The BT can still be had through Sears as the 21829, so it is an option.

As for mobile saws, besides the BTSeries (which I think is more accurate by default), the Bosch 4000/4100 (4100 riving knife), and the Ridgid 2400 seem to be decent mobile models.

Others put whatever on stands/rollers. So even a good start, may be an older contractors saw, from your local ads/craigslist, etc.

A guided circular saw system would be another option I would look at (EZ Smart, Festool).

You don't really give any budget idea's, which would help narrow down your search.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cdub101
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2007

I new to WW myuself, within the last year.

I just got the 21829 and I like it a lot. I started with the Craftsman with the collapsable stand, but I never collaped the stand not convient enough, and it wasn't very good overall.

The 21829 is a great space saver. You can do samller routing quickly from the same table surface. I learned how to use the router as a jointer for 3/4" and thinner stock. Not ideal compared to dedicate machines, but if space and budget are a concern a good option to get started. The fence is very accurate, which is probably the most important feature. I picked up the Wixey digital fence on sale for $99, so now it has a digital fence. I contemplated the new Bosch with the digital fence (I like gadgets) but couldn't justify the $700 bucks.

The biggest thing I have learned is to get good measuring devices, combination square, drafting triangle etc..

Comment

• Jim Ellis
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2005
            • Rosenberg, TX, USA.
            • BT3000

Bosh 4100 and Sears BT3

Does anyone know how the Sears BT3 and the new Bosh 4100 stack up? I know with the Sears
            you have the advantage of the sliding miter. I think the new Bosh 4100 is updated and maybe a good choice.

Thanks,
            Jim

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

You may want to look at the Rigid 3650? (not sure of the number). I would also look at what Grizzley has. Their cabinet saw is close to the price of the hybrids and I've seen some good reviews. Until mine quits, I plan to keep using my BT3100 but those are the ones I would look at.

Jim

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Jim,
                I recently joined this site because I purchased a Craftsman 21829, and then learning it was a BT3x in Sears clothing, and wanting to know more about accessories for the saw and tips/tricks. I selected the 21829 after researching a number of comparable models (and honesty not liking what I saw of the newer, smaller Ryobi TS line), and I could not be more happy with it, and to learn that its Ryobi progenitor has such strong devotion. The upgrades from what seems to be the BT3x base model are all pluses, especially the folding/rolling base, the miter sled, and the router accessory table. And it was simple to learn to use my framing square to get extremely accurate cuts.

I almost bought the small JET TS, but there was divine intervention. They only sell them through HD on-line, and I wanted to buy it using some giftcards I'd saved up... but can you believe HD on-line won't accept their own giftcards as payment? Nor can you get the store to order it, since they don't have a catalog for it.

Happy cutting,
                Bill in Buena Park
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• iceman61
                  • Oct 2007
                  • West TN
                  • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by Jim Ellis
                  Does anyone know how the Sears BT3 and the new Bosh 4100 stack up? I know with the Sears
                  you have the advantage of the sliding miter. I think the new Bosh 4100 is updated and maybe a good choice.

Thanks,
                  Jim
                  Jim, I can't vouch for the Sear's BT3 but I can tell you I own a Bosch 4100 w/ Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand & I love it. Very precise. You may or may not need the base. I do because I'm also a contractor. I can load & unload it in the bed of my truck by myself with no problems at all.

Comment

• djkert
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cdub101
                    I new to WW myuself, within the last year.

I learned how to use the router as a jointer for 3/4" and thinner stock. Not ideal compared to dedicate machines, but if space and budget are a concern a good option to get started.
                    Wondering if you can give me some tips on this. I'd like to do this also, as a jointer is out of my space/budget restrictions. Also, do you run it through this setup before or after ripping the wood. I've read that you are supposed to run wood through a jointer before ripping it, but it seems that a setup like this wouldn't help straighten a crooked board????
                    Last edited by djkert; 12-13-2007, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

I have posted previously about the many things I love about my 21829. Search on 21829 and you will find many threads. Have a read through them and if you have more questions, I'd love to answer them.

If you search the archives, there are many odes to the wonderment that is the BT3 series. Some of the strong points include very good accuracy, the sliding miter table, a very good stock rip fence, the riving knife, a better than average stock blade guard, very good dust collection, adjustable rails, the ability to cut a 4x4 in one pass and an expert group of current and former owners here in the forum who can answer any question you will ever have.

Several 21829 upgrades have been mentioned - it also has longer rails, so not only is it very portable, it is also a bigger saw than the BT3s. The router kit is a nice perk, but I can't tell you how much I love the folding stand. It is a marvel of good design.

I think everyone here would agree that if you ever feel you need a better table saw, it will be because you are REALLY into woodworking. Conversely, you may never feel you need a better table saw, even if you REALLY get into woodworking! And, should you decide you aren't that into it, it only takes up about 4 sq. feet of floor space when folded.
                      Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• jonmnelson
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Long Beach, CA
                        • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

Originally posted by Jim Ellis

Thanks,
                        Jim
                        I don't have any direct experience with the Bosch, but it gets great reviews. One of the woodworking magazines included the 4100 in its list of best new tools, so I don't think you'd go wrong with it.

I was considering the 4000 before I bought my 21829. The Bosch just seemed too much money for what is essentially a bench-top table saw. And the 21829 seems to have the same features, except for miter slots and maybe a larger table surface. I also think the 21829's sliding miter table and built-in router table make it a more efficient, versatile tool. If you really want miter slots, you can add them to the 21829 and still have the SMT and router table. Best of all, the 21829 is (I think) about $150 cheaper.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

I've used the bosch 4000, it's a great saw. it's designed for contractors so it can be tossed in the back of a truck or ride around in a trailer and not get messed up. I don't think any version of the BT3X would stand up to abuse like that. on the other hand, for shop use I like my BT3X better then the bosch.
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...