• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dale In Corona
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Corona, CA, USA.

Finishing question

I wasn't sure where else to post this so here goes...

I recently used a clear satin polyurethane on a box I made from Cherry and it changed the color of the wood in a way I was not expecting. Instead of a slightly darker, rich color like I was expecting, the cherry became muddy, for lack of a better description. The final color has an almost antique look to it. I would like to know if this is normal? I wanted to use poly to protect the box. I am about to make another project from the same cherry and I would like to finish it with a clear coat. Is there something I can do to bring out the woods natural color without changing it the way the poly did?

Dale
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Waterlox is my favorite finish on cherry.

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Dale,

Did you use any stain before the poly? Sometimes stain will leak into the finish and look muddy.

When I want a satin finish, I use several coats of gloss poly first. Then, I will use one coat of satin on top. This seems to give more depth to a satin finish. Several coats of satin might give a muddy look. Satin is just gloss with small particles suspended in it.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Dale In Corona
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2005
        • Corona, CA, USA.

No stain, and just two coats of the Poly. I will try to post some picures later tonight, along with the brand name of the poly I used. Hopefully color photos will add some perspective to what I am describing so that someone can help me understand what went wrong. Or rather why I didnt get the results I wanted/expected.

DL

Comment

• Garasaki
          • Sep 2006

Sounds like your cherry blotched. Pretty normal. All finishes impart some color to the wood, even if it's called a "clear" finish.

Darn good reason to test on scraps before you put a finish on a finished product.

Personally I really like danish oil on cherry, does pretty things to it.

What is your project...does your piece require a lot of protection??? Poly may be overkill for whatever you are doing...
          -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
          -Henry Blake

Comment

• ejs1097
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

General Finishes makes a water based Polyacrylic Satin Topcoat. Since it's water based it will not change the color like an oil base does.

How much 'scrap' cherry do you have? I like to experiment by taking a larger peice of scrap and taping off sections (say 6"x6") then apply different finish combinations within each section (label the tape), then you can pick the correct color you like and the recipe is on the tape.
            Eric
            Be Kind Online

Comment

• Dale In Corona
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2005
              • Corona, CA, USA.

Originally posted by Garasaki
              What is your project...does your piece require a lot of protection??? Poly may be overkill for whatever you are doing...
              The first project was a carved keepsake or small jewelry box, and I wanted it well protected because it will be handled alot during use.

The next project is a carved cross, I imagine that it will be wall mount and therefore will not be handled so I am not as concerned about protecting it from wear and tear. However, I do not want unexpected results...

So, as the one gentleman here suggested, I wil lbe taking some of the scrap chery from the first project and making up some color samples.

Thanks,

Dale

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

As you noted, get some photos up and we should be able to determine what is going on. Brand, luster, age of poly would be helpful as well.

I tend to disagree with some of the other points. I don't think what you are descibing is blotching. Also, I do not believe that building multiple layers of satin has obscured the grain. However, as you note, photos would be very helpful.

If you are looking for a crystal clear finish, then I agree with the GF Polyacrylic waterbourne poly. Brushes well, easy clean up, clear as a bell, wears well, etc.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

My favorite is Resisthane. Dries too fast to finish large projects with a brush but a brush works well for small stuff and touch up. Spray for large projects. Available from Hood Finishing (for about $30/gallon).

Cherry is like Maple in that both have a tendency toward figure. I wonder if what you describe as "blotchy" changes if you tilt the piece in the light. If so, it is the figure in the wood coming out. Oil finishes tend to increase this effect. Poly does not exagerate it as much. On a gunstock, I put linseed oil on before oil based poly (wipe on) to exagerate the grain.

Jim

Comment

Working...