• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mashtun
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

Storeing Lumber, or more Craigslist madness

Hi Guys
    Well I was looking at Craigslist, and found a guy near me who had a Grizzly jointer for sale. I Went to look at it, and bought it, even though I have a small delta benchtop jointer.

He also had some lumber with prices to good to pass up, So my questions are what is the best way to store this wood.

1 Lean it against a wall?

2 Make some kind of rack to store it laying down, or just lay it down on the floor?

3 If I store it in my unheated garage which will get down to below freezing will this damage the wood?

Let me know what you think, its some really nice Black Walnut, and some nice red oak.

As for the madness part, the red oak is planks of about 12 inchs wide, by two inches thick, so I am now going to have watch craigslist and the bargian alerts for a bandsaw to resaw it.

It never ends.

John
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Lean it against the wall or make a rack to store it horizontally off the floor. Moisture could move from the concrete to the wood if you store it directly on the floor. Freezing won't hurt it, though you will have some movement with the relative humidity dropping. Make sure you bring it inside for a little while to readjust before cutting it up.
    Eric

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
      • Dec 2006
      • hagerstown, md

I would store it flat on a rack. I bought some white oak and had it machined and leant it against a wall for a couple of weeks. It has a nice bend to it now
      パトリック
      daiku woodworking
      ^deshi^
      neoshed

Comment

• Greg.B
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Joppa, Maryland
        • Ryobi BT3100

You want to support it flat. Do not lay it on the floor, the moisture will kill it, and leaning it will create a bow over time. Most guys build a rack mounted to a wall, that has supports every 12" or so.
        Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Build a rack to store it flat. Support every 12-16". Place stickers between layers that line up with the supports.
          Last edited by Black wallnut; 11-12-2007, 02:13 PM.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Garasaki
            • Sep 2006

You can also store it on the floor if you use stickers (maybe extra thick ones) to keep it off the concrete.

Absolutely don't lean it, and absolutely don't let it touch concrete.
            -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
            -Henry Blake

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

This is the perfect excuse to build a lumber rack!
              John Hunter

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

I'll post a photo of my rack I just built tomorrow.

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

If you don't have time to build a lumber rack 'just like [he's] going to build [today]' it should be OK on the floor with plenty of tall stickers (rip some 2x4s) but put some polyethylene on the floor first. It will help with the immediate transfer of moisture. I did mine like this for years and had few problems - at least not enough to say it was the storage method.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

Working...