• Show
Clear All
  • cobob
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Rolla, MO, USA.
    • BT3100

Another Bone-head safety error

getting to be a long list. Once again, not wearing goggles ... duh! Just proves there is a God & he loves me.

First time with bandsaw (used HF). Playing with scrap; "resawing" short piece of oak. Short meaning ~2.5". Well ... the plastic insert shattered, the wood wedged in the table cutout. The blade torqued, shattered the guide mount into several pieces, bent the blade so now it will not track at all regardless of tension? All happens in less than a blink with a loud POW and the motor stops. I'm standing there, unharmed, with (I'm sure) the stupid look of realizing I've just gotten away with something ... I'm not sure what.

The lessons are obvious ... But why won't I learn?

other lessons ... Grizzly sells metal inserts ,,, got to be safer than plastic ,,, (of course the blade on the saw is not centered so I had to file it out). Grizzly also sells guide mounts for HF-BS that fit better than the originals?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

There's a saying somewhere that goes "Think it through before you do". A question you can also ask yourself before starting a procedure is to evaluate what you plan to do and ask yourself if there is anything that looks questionable, that could go wrong or hurt you, and if there is any doubt or the answer is yes, stop immediately.

You are right, those glitches happen in an instant. Consider this one as just a warning, like a wake up call. Fortunately you weren't hurt.

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

bone headed safety error

After all is said and done, be sure and check the bandsaw tires, and I would think about getting a new blade, that old one probably will develop some other problems and when it does...time for it to hit the scrap heap! eezlock

Comment

• Red88chevy
        Established Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Midland, Texas.

Glad to hear God was looking out for you. Makes all those little problems of the day look pretty small.

Comment

Working...