• Show
Clear All
  • jemmy
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007
    • IRELAND
    • Hitachi C10RA

blanket chess

hi there, my wife showed me a photo of a blanket chess she would like to buy it is 42" long 22" high and 18" wide. and i said i would make her one if she give me a wee bit of time,: can i ask does anyone have a set of plans that i could look at and maybe use it would be very much appricated.
    thank you, Jemmy.
  • Pakaderm
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004

At first, I wondered what "Blanket Chess" was, and how it related to woodworking... ?!?

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Jemmy, there are MANY MANY blanket chest plans out there, it really depends upon what you want to do and what your skill level/tool availability is....

Here is one by David Marks...
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• jemmy
        Forum Newbie
        • Sep 2007
        • IRELAND
        • Hitachi C10RA

Originally posted by drumpriest
        Jemmy, there are MANY MANY blanket chest plans out there, it really depends upon what you want to do and what your skill level/tool availability is....

Here is one by David Marks...
        http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_..._26901,00.html
        thank you Keith for the link but i think that one is a wee bit elaborate for my ability. but many thanks any how. if anyone has any more i would like too see them. thank you, Jemmy.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Blanket chests, hope chests, and Cedar chests are all the same thing only distinguished by size and material. I made this for SWMBO in '77 from U-Build plans. They are full size, easy to follow plans but you may find some free downloadable plans that are as good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedar chest for LOML (76).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	781790
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Jim W
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2006
            • Omaha, NE, USA.
            • BT3100

I had just finished a blanket chest. It was the first woodworking project I had done requiring mortise and tenons since high school (1965) shop class . Thanks to a tenon cutting jig plan found on this website, a HF bench drill press and HF Forstner bit set to drill out the mortices, the blanket chest turned out beautifully. Then Wood magazine published for a blanket chest. These plans had a clearly superior method of installing aromatic cedar that the plans that I had used and also included a tray. You can check it out at the link below.

Overall dimensions 39" wide, 17" deep, and 22" high. Featured in the March 2007 issue of WOOD.

Cedar-Lined Blanket Chest, Woodworking Plans, Furniture, Chests, WOOD Issue 175, March 2007, 2007, Country and Rustic, Intermediate, Bedroom
            Jim

(Old Army saying) "If you can't fix it...paint it."

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Soorry, I don't have any plans for this one, but you're welcome to pilfer any ideas that appeal to you. You should be able to find many plans on the web.
              Attached Files
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I gotta tell ya, Dustmite, every time I see that roject I just drool. Veeeery niiice!!

As for your question, jemmy, you could hone up your skills with a toy box and get yourself used to making a couple of different joints. If this all sounds like Greek to you why no enroll in an evening course at the Vo-Tec to get some basics down. If the legs look too difficult on some of these you can always go with a straight board across the bottom and sides to give it a little more appeal. Good luck.
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by jemmy
                  thank you Keith for the link but i think that one is a wee bit elaborate for my ability. but many thanks any how. if anyone has any more i would like too see them. thank you, Jemmy.
                  Keith just posted that link because his avatar has a picture of him posing with David Marks!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

hi there, my wife showed me a photo of a blanket chess she would like to buy it is 42" long 22" high and 18" wide.
                    Well my suggestion would be to make one that looks like the photo that the wife showed you! Anyway you can post that photo and maybe someone can match up some plans?

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Montgomery Village, Maryland
                      • BT3100

If you can get past the double entendre here is a recent thread on blanket chests from our very own Cabinetman:

I expect there will be discussion on what's right or wrong with this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwMXYK0dI4A .

Greg

To see the video use this link instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEiybv06pJA
                      Last edited by Greg in Maryland; 10-11-2007, 04:33 PM. Reason: link in thread is broken

Comment

• jemmy
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2007
                        • IRELAND
                        • Hitachi C10RA

Originally posted by Dustmight
                        Soorry, I don't have any plans for this one, but you're welcome to pilfer any ideas that appeal to you. You should be able to find many plans on the web.
                        wow, dustmight, wat a lovely chess a wee bit to much for my abilty but anyhow lovely. sorry about spelling.
                        thank you, Jemmy.

Comment

• jemmy
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2007
                          • IRELAND
                          • Hitachi C10RA

Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
                          If you can get past the double entendre here is a recent thread on blanket chests from our very own Cabinetman:

I expect there will be discussion on what's right or wrong with this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwMXYK0dI4A .

Greg

To see the video use this link instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEiybv06pJA
                          Greg sorry cant get the video to work but thanks anyway,Jemmy.

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Montgomery Village, Maryland
                            • BT3100

Greg sorry cant get the video to work but thanks anyway,Jemmy.
                            Jemmy

Try this link: http://www.hometownwoodworking.com/Welcome.html

Greg

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Jemmey,

I understand you are an entry level woodworker, thus some of the suggestions are a bit far reaching. Help us out by telling us 1) what tools do you have to complete the project and 2) any way to show photo of the design your wife is after 3) painting? Staining? Natural? Wood? 4) and last some sort of $ figure you want to spend on project. This allows us to help determine if you should be using poplar or bubinga, design, etc.

This is a very reasonable first timer project, but we need to know do you have a tablesaw, a router, etc.

Thanks
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...