This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

What the *** is "burn-in"?

Latest Fine Woodworking has a nice article re: water-based finishes, with a table showing Hardness and other properties.

One property is "burn-out."

Say what?
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

Your post title says "Burn in"
    Your question asks about "Burn out"

I've never heard of "burn out" related to finishes, but "burn in" is related to a finish repairing technique. Maybe they are referring to the ability of the finish to be repaired using this technique?
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by mschrank
      but "burn in" is related to a finish repairing technique. Maybe they are referring to the ability of the finish to be repaired using this technique?
      I have always seen burn in related to finishing repair. I kind of made the same assumption that you did, ie they are testing the ability to be repaired.

Edit: Burn in is most often (95% of time) related to repairs. It also addresses issue of original application of materials in how film build products adhere to each other. Finishes that "melt" into the prior layer of finish have a higher burn in. These finishes are thought to be easier to buff, polish, etc.
      Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I agree with what Jeffrey is saying. Some finishes adhere to the previous coat by mechanical attachment. You have to scuff them before putting on another coat. Lacquers melt into the previous layer so if the surface is smooth and does not require sanding, you just shoot on another coat. Resisthane is a water based lacquer that has good burn-in. I often need to sand between coats but sometimes I can just put on another layer - handy.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I've always been familiar with the term "burn in" as it applies to actually using a flame, or a hot iron with shellac sticks to do repairs. I guess "burn in" could apply to the subsequent coats of lacquer "melting" in to the previous coat.

Now, I'm very familiar with the term "burn out". It can happen to guys like me who do this stuff 6 days a week for 37 years.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by JimD
            Resisthane is a water based lacquer that has good burn-in. I often need to sand between coats but sometimes I can just put on another layer - handy.

Jim
            Agreed. Resisthane is such a GREAT product at a very attractive price. They REALLY need to find some additional distribution methods such as Woodcraft, HD, Lowes or something.

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
              Agreed. Resisthane is such a GREAT product at a very attractive price. They REALLY need to find some additional distribution methods such as Woodcraft, HD, Lowes or something.
              Amen to that. Not available locally anywhere. Of course wider distribution might mean higher cost as well. It is a PITA to have to order it online.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Shipping adds significantly to the cost of Resisthane but it is still relatively inexpensive. I wish Hood finishings website worked better for me. I have had to call them the last couple times to place the order. Still I get the finish in about 3 days for about $35/gallon (tinted). Good deal - especially considering novice guys with a spray gun like me can get excellant results.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ragswl4
                  Amen to that. Not available locally anywhere. Of course wider distribution might mean higher cost as well. It is a PITA to have to order it online.
                  I would think better distribution would keep cost pretty constant. Certainly making 1 million gallons is more cost effective than 100,000 gallons (purely hypothetical numbers). Cost savings in production would be eat up by profits of retailer, but still the price shouldnt jump if being distributed by a good volume retailer.

Comment

Working...