• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbibler
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • Glyndon, MD, USA.

Iron Spikes?

About 8 months ago, I salvaged quite a few rough-cut 2x4s and 2x8s out of an old house that was torn down the day before. All of the lumber is at least 6 foot long, and straight as an arrow. The houses in this historic neighborhood are about 100+ years old.

I bought a "Little Wizard" to help locate any nails prior to me running it over my jointer and through my thickness planer. To my surprise, I am finding quite a few "spikes" that are not detectable by the LW. I am assuming they were made out of iron, since they leave black rings around the holes in the surface.

What is the best way to find the rest of the "iron spikes"? I am not as concerned about the jointing and planning, because I can peer into the holes (at the surface) and see the tips of the spikes, and usually pull them out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I am worried about my band saw and table saw blades, since it would be more of a blind cut.

Thanks.
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by tbibler
    About 8 months ago, I salvaged quite a few rough-cut 2x4s and 2x8s out of an old house that was torn down the day before. All of the lumber is at least 6 foot long, and straight as an arrow. The houses in this historic neighborhood are about 100+ years old.

I bought a "Little Wizard" to help locate any nails prior to me running it over my jointer and through my thickness planer. To my surprise, I am finding quite a few "spikes" that are not detectable by the LW. I am assuming they were made out of iron, since they leave black rings around the holes in the surface.

What is the best way to find the rest of the "iron spikes"? I am not as concerned about the jointing and planning, because I can peer into the holes (at the surface) and see the tips of the spikes, and usually pull them out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I am worried about my band saw and table saw blades, since it would be more of a blind cut.

Thanks.
    If they are in fact "iron" a magnet should detect them easily.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

Working...