This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cutlass72zz

In the Market for a Table Saw

I've been looking at mid range Hitachi and Delta table saws. Does anyone have strong feelings one way or another about either? Also, should I go with a stock fence or purchase a higher end fence that's offered as an option? thanks.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Some model numbers would help clarify exactly which models you're looking at. Hitachi has a few models, and Delta has several. If you're looking at full size cast iron saws, that would likely mean you're referring to the Hitachi C10FL at Lowes for $500, and one of the Delta contractor saws.

I like alot of Hitachi tools, but have never been overly impressed with the C10FL relative to other saws in it's class. It does have an inboard motor which has some advantages, but the flimsy steel wings, light duty aluminum fence, and the strength of the legs seem suspect to me...even the wheels require 8 separate actions to move and reset the saw. It's also a more unproven entity, but I'm sure it'll work fine.

In that same price range, Amazon has the Delta 36-980 for $610 delivered from Delta CPO WWing....cast iron wings, built in base (one motion to lift, another to reset), and a very nice "T2" steel fence...nice deal IMHO.

The Jet 708100 is in direct competition with the Hitachi and I think it has some advantages...namely in the one piece cast blade shroud connecting the trunnions. $500 shipped from Amazon.

Grizzly has a couple of saws on sale right now that are worth a look. The G0575 is on sale for $475 ($569 shipped)...it's sports a very nice Biese clone fence, and a decent miter gauge.

The Ridgid 3650 is ~ $550 and has some advantages over the Hitachi IMHO...cast iron wings, better fence, better mobile base, better trunnion system, and easier alignment.

It's also possible that you could catch a sale on the Craftsman 22114 to put that hybrid below $600...it has cast iron wings and cabinet mounted trunnions.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 09-21-2007, 08:24 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

The Delta's T2 fence is pretty nice in that range, nicer I think than most. I'm not sure if any have RKs, but they will soon, probably next year's models.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Anthony
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2004
        • Brooklyn, NY, USA.

Originally posted by cutlass72zz
        I've been looking at mid range Hitachi and Delta table saws. Does anyone have strong feelings one way or another about either? Also, should I go with a stock fence or purchase a higher end fence that's offered as an option? thanks.

Do not overlook Craigs list for used tools.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by drumpriest
          The Delta's T2 fence is pretty nice in that range, nicer I think than most. I'm not sure if any have RKs, but they will soon, probably next year's models.
          I watched some videos on YouTube from the Las Vegas woodworking show and every single new saw seemed to have a riving knife. Steel City, Grizzly, Powermatic and Bosch to name a few. Most saws, except the Bosch were in the $1500+ price range. Mostly 3 Hp saws.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

Working...