• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Ellis
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Rosenberg, TX, USA.
    • BT3000

Clean old Bt3000

Just purchased a used 1996 Bt3000. It runs fine, just needs a good cleaning. What is the best way to clean this saw up?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hi there in Rosenberg.

I'd use damp cloth to clean most of it if dusty, maybe Fantastik on the more stubborn stuff (oil and grease stains), and maybe Simplegreen if there is pine pitch stuck to it in the cutting areas.

You should blow out the insides (remove the end panels, be careful on the righ, one of the screws is attached to the ground wire). Use a dry-lube on the elevation screw, and the sliding bracket where the motor assy goes up and down. I use johnsons paste wax (make sure it has no silicone) on the table top AND especially on the sliding surface for the motor elevation - this is a weak point in the BT3000s (read about shims). There are some brass shims that attach loosely to the motor bracket and slide on the saw housing. When this runs dry, the shims seize up on the ways and pull loose from the motor housing and simply fall off, then its aluminum against aluminum and it doesn't slide well and galls.
    You can't lubricate with oil or other liquids because they attract sawdust and eventually jam things up.

More info on htis stuff in my FAQ (see below)
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...