X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eweu
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Silicon Valley, CA

Well, I'm from California and I wear an apron.

I like the apron because I keep my use-on-nearly-every-single-task tools in the pockets: a 6 inch rule, double square, saddle square, pencil, small notepad. It's also convenient to put on and take off without any items falling out.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Here's one that that nobody seemed to mention:
      Steel Toe Shoes/Boots.

I made it a habit after a sheet of 1 1/8" PB slid off the bench and landed on my big toe on edge. Where ever you were in the late 70's you probably heard me yelling.

It's tough to protect everything. You never know where or what something can hurt you. I still can't get over watching those outdoor shows where these guys wear shorts and sneakers to go snake hunting or play in the midst of the Amazon.

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

Cabinetman
        Good point! We seem to forget about our feet.
        Last week I was tearing out some old shelving from my soon to be shop.. I was working above my head and lost my grip on a 20oz hammer, it found my foot. I quickly realized that I knew a foreign language.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• IBBugsy
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Allentown, PA.
          • BT3100

Well, nothing most of the time but occassionally I'll use an apron.

However, I probably should make it a habit to wear the apron and safety shoes. I'll have to keep them on the table saw to remind me....
          Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
          "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

An apron in the dead of winter, a tool belt in the summer and/or outside/carpentry/ladder work, nothing if I'm only going to be in the shop for an hour. Steel toes whenever I'm toting a lot of heavy stuff or building scenery (teenagers have an uncanny knack for dropping heavy stuff on my feet).

Also bifocal safety glasses. I keep them right next to the door--put 'em on when I walk in and take 'em off when I walk out. Ear protection as necessary. I have a set of big cans (can't remember the brand but I like them better than the foam earplugs), but they get very hot in the summer. Lastly, an AO Safety two-cartridge respirator when the shop has to be closed, when sanding, etc.

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Nada

Toolbelt only used when I can remember where I left it so I spend a good 1/2 hr hunting down where I left my pencil, tape measure, etc. Teeth for holding nails and screws.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

[quote=cabinetman;298396]Here's one that that nobody seemed to mention:
                Steel Toe Shoes/Boots.

I made it a habit after a sheet of 1 1/8" PB slid off the bench and landed on my big toe on edge. Where ever you were in the late 70's you probably heard me yelling.
                <snip>quote]

Yea, I rememer taht ! I was working as a railroad car mechanic at the time and I though it was a bad wheel bearing on a car going by on the mainline!
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

Working...