• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Mortise chisel lube???

About to start my first project with M&T joints. Several articles said to lube the chisel with a dry lube.

Any recommendations? Can that be found at BORG or do I need to make a special trip to Woodcraft? Would this also be called 'white graphite'?

TIA

Ken
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I can't speak to lubing the chisel - only did MT's once and haven't heard of lubing them. By white graphite, though, I think they mean mica. If you can't find that at a hardware store try www.miswayusa.com and look under 'reloading supplies'. I use it to lubricate necks for sizing bottleneck cases. You might want to call Woodcraft about it, though. If you get this on any wood that you intend on finishing you'll probably have issues with removing all of it thus, potentially wrecking your finish. Being white you won't be able to see it. Sanding may get rid of it but may also spread it too. Please let us know what you find out about it.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• Garasaki
      • Sep 2006

I think you want to use the same type of lubricant that you would use on the gears and shims on the blade raising assembly for your bt3k - so trying searching on here for those criteria.

There is a popular dupont product available at Lowes that was recommended for that task - thats what I used on my hollow chisel mortiser. I've used it for a number of "lubing" tasks, and I really like...comes in a blue can, I think it's dry silicone lubricant but please don't take my word for it.
      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
      -Henry Blake

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Doh, John, you're right! I forgot entirely about that product and if its the same its here and it's by DuPont. See, that's why we hang out here... for guys like John!http://www.performancelubricant.dupo...cts_multi.html or http://www.performancelubricant.dupo..._silicone.html
        Last edited by ironhat; 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM. Reason: additional info
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Maybe I need to go check out that thread, but the product website says it is water repelling. Wouldn't that be a problem with some finishing? Of course exposure is limited to mortised area which will be covered by cheeks of tenon so maybe it is not an issue. Or are you supposed to sand it off prior to finishing?

Comment

• eddy merckx
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Western WA
            • Shop Fox Cabinet

Hi Ken

I use silicone spray. Just give a few squirts inside the chisel and let dry. It does seem to help the chips slide out more easily. If you haven't done it yet, it also really helps to hone the inside of the chisel to elimintate the machining marks. A piece of sandpaper wrapped around a metal shaft, then chucked into a drill works really well.

Eddy

Comment

• lago
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Lago Vista, TX.

I found something at BORG last week. IIRC, it is a Liquid Wrench product and seemed to work OK. Did not notice any heat buildup on the chisel.
              Ken

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I lube the inside of the chisel with a little 3 in 1 oil. It is a very light oil. I make a cut in a scrap piece first after lubing the chisel so that any excess oil goes into the scrap. It seems to help the squeaking and reduce the temperature of the drill bit.

Jim

Comment

• Garasaki
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                  Of course exposure is limited to mortised area which will be covered by cheeks of tenon so maybe it is not an issue.

You lube the inside of the hollow chisel, where the drill bit is spinning. No lube on the outside. Therefore no problem on the finished surfaces, but I don't think it'd matter anyway, because no one is ever going to see the inside of your mortises.

Plus I've found I have to clean up the mortises with a chisel and file to the point where it'd remove any residue left behind.
                  -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                  -Henry Blake

Comment

• ChrisD
                    • Dec 2004
                    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Ken, I use Bostik's DriCote. I got it from Rockler. Woodcraft should carry it, too.
                    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

Working...