X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stavs
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

Newbie with TS Questions (Purchasing)

I am in the market for my first table saw, and have found a lot of information here as I lurked. The problem is there is almost too much info, so a lot of what I ask may be repetitive so I apologize in advance.

I have a small one car garage that I use as my workshop (mobility and space is key). Most of the things I will be doing with a table saw will be general homeowner stuff...ripping boards down for window jambs, creating shelving, and doing some basic/intermediate woodworking projects. I will not be making any fine furniture (not in the foreseeable future at least) unless you consider a kitchen trash can fine furniture. .

My research has led me to consider three saws:

Bosch 4100
    Ridgid TS2400LS (current leader)
    Sears BT3100 clone

Assuming money was not a concern (within those models or similiar), which would be best and why? I do see myself adding a router to my shop, but the router table on the Craftsman is not big enough feature to lock me into that particular unit.

Thanks,

Stavs
    Last edited by Stavs; 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM.
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Someone else can probably confirm this but to my understanding, the BT would be the only one with the riving knife. The knife (on the BT3100 at least) moves up and down with the blade, staying just 1/8th of an inch behind it. That's a lot of protection against kickback. Splitters on most other saws are mounted in place and do not move as blade height changes.

The other thing that would lean me in the direction of the BT (if choosing from those three) would be this community here. This is a huge group that knows a lot about these BT saws, the commercial addons as well as the shop made varieties. Maybe there's support like that out there for other saws but I certainly didn't find it when I went to buy my first saw. This group was the deciding factor for me a few years ago when I bought my BT3100.

Good luck to you. Regardless of which you choose, stay around and talk. If people can put up with my rambling, they can get along with anyone ! haha

Steve

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

From what I've read, that Bosch model is the new one with the riving knife.

From looking at the older Bosch and the BT side by side at my local Sears, I prefer the BT, but prefer the Bosch stand.

Now to throw another loop at you, I went with a guided circular saw system, for plywood, and because of portability and it's other dohickies, I use it, and my table saw has been sitting for a while.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

I love my 21829. (Sears BT3100 clone)

I have a very small shop (about 10' x 12') The saw actually hides behind the door when not in use - footprint is only 2'x2'. Try folding them up and then back: I consider the 21829 stand to be far superior to the Ridgid or Bosch. I have a bad back, so that earns bonus points for me.

If you wanted to haul the saw around from one construction site to the other I'd go with the Ridgid. But it sounds like you will use your's like I do: pull it out when the project requires it, fold it away and forget about it until you need it again.

I love the sliding miter table - especially being able to flip it from one side to the next in 5 seconds. That and being able to slide the rails all the way to either side was a huge help when I was installing 7' long engineered bamboo flooring. To me - the 21829 is a much "bigger" saw as far as being able to handle larger or more unwieldy boards.

I agree that the router table is a bit gimmicky. I have a very nice, very large (too large for my tiny space) router table. But I did buy a used accessory table that I dedicated a spare fixed base to. Every once in a while, it is more convenient to slap in a router and use it instead of the dedicated table- especially if I am working outside. One thing to consider is that it may allow you to forestall getting a dedicated router table until your skills exceed the platform's capability.

They are all fine saws, but I consider the 21829 to be the best purchase I have ever made. (My vasectomy being a close 2nd)

Whichever you choose, there is a wealth of information and friendly, knowledgeable folks here!
        Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Stavs
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2007

Definitely food for thought. The community here is defintely a valuable asset. What are the limitations of the BT/Craftsman compared to other saws? What would I miss that the BT doesnt have?

Comment

• CManinLa
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2007
            • Covington, La.
            • Craftsman 315.218290 (Portable)

I ditto comments made by DKERFOOT. I recently purchased the 21829 for many of the same reasons. Also, even though you said price was not a concern, the 21829 normally sells for 449.00. Most times it is on sale for 399.00. Last month the sale was 349.00 & the Craftsman Club price was 314.00. I picked it up 314.00. If I would have made if for 'Friends & Family', I could have saved another 10%.

Getting that saw for near 300.00 is a great deal.

Comment

• tedkitch
              • Jul 2006
              • NE Suburbs, Chicago
              • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

When I was looking to purchase a table saw, I chose the BT3100 based on this site. I read the FAQ completely before deciding and I looked at some of the other sites that have users of their saw and I was totally sold on the BT3100 based on the content that is on this site. I haven't had hardly any issues with the saw, but I know the day that I do I will be able to find help here.

I would chose the 21829 as you can't go wrong with all of these folks knowing your saw inside and out.
              Ted Kitch

Comment

• Tarheel
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • N. Carolina

Originally posted by Stavs
                I am in the market for my first table saw, and have found a lot of information here as I lurked. The problem is there is almost too much info, so a lot of what I ask may be repetitive so I apologize in advance.

I have a small one car garage that I use as my workshop (mobility and space is key). Most of the things I will be doing with a table saw will be general homeowner stuff...ripping boards down for window jambs, creating shelving, and doing some basic/intermediate woodworking projects. I will not be making any fine furniture (not in the foreseeable future at least) unless you consider a kitchen trash can fine furniture. .

My research has led me to consider three saws:

Bosch 4100
                Ridgid TS2400LS (current leader)
                Sears BT3100 clone

Assuming money was not a concern (within those models or similiar), which would be best and why? I do see myself adding a router to my shop, but the router table on the Craftsman is not big enough feature to lock me into that particular unit.

Thanks,

Stavs
                I had a Ridgid TS2400LS for about three years before upgrading to a Craftsman hybrid - 22124.

The Ridgid was a great saw! I too was space starved and found that the saw's folding mobile base was great. The fence system on the Ridgid was accurate and solid right of the box and never had to adjust squareness to the blade. The saw also had the widest rip capacity of the saw's I was looking at. I cut plently of 6/4 oak and 4/4 cherry with saw and never once did the saw bog down on me. (It was however pretty loud!) Dist collection was pretty good hooked up to my HF dust collector and/or my shop vac. When I puchased mine, I was comparing it to the Bosch and the Dewalt. The Ridgid won out.

Wayne

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Welcome to the forum, Stavs!
                  Definitely food for thought. The community here is defintely a valuable asset.
                  While it's true that the model-specific help you can receive here for a BT3x00 or Craftsman 21829 would be valuable, don't think for a minute that this community will treat you any differently if you choose some other make or model of table saw.

As the top banner tag line says, "It's not just about the saw." This place may have started as a fansite for the BT saws, but it has grown into something much more than that. So stick around, no matter what you decide to buy.
                  Larry

Comment

• Stavs
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by LarryG
                    Welcome to the forum, Stavs!
                    While it's true that the model-specific help you can receive here for a BT3x00 or Craftsman 21829 would be valuable, don't think for a minute that this community will treat you any differently if you choose some other make or model of table saw.

As the top banner tag line says, "It's not just about the saw." This place may have started as a fansite for the BT saws, but it has grown into something much more than that. So stick around, no matter what you decide to buy.
                    Thats exactly the feeling I got when I found this site and started reading. I could just sense that if I posted the message I did, that I would not be flamed or hear a bunch of "this rules, that sucks." The arguments for or against in all the posts I have read (not just mine) all seem to be well though out and based on facts, and when opinion sets in, it is usually justified. Its actually quite refreshing from what I'm used to.

I know I said that money was not a concern, but I keep leaning towards the Ridgid....with a 10% off coupon, and about $100 in Borg gift cards, I'm at about $304 (more if I wait for a sale). Now the Craftsman can be had for about $314 I guess if I shop right and wait, which puts them in the same range and I am left with $100 in HD cards to buy more stuff the wife thinks I dont need. Decisions decisions! I was all set on the Ridgid and now all I think about is riving knives.

How stable is the stand on the craftsman professional?

Thanks again for all the input btw.

Comment

• prlundberg
                      Established Member
                      • May 2006
                      • Minnesota
                      • Craftsman 21829

I like my 21829 and agree with dkerfoot. The 21829 is easily the most capable saw of the ones you are looking at.

Downside is that it will not stand up to abuse as well as the Ridgid or Bosch. I don't think the Ridgid or Bosch would last any longer for the average DIY'er, they are just built tougher.
                      Phil

Comment

• Stavs
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by prlundberg
                        I like my 21829 and agree with dkerfoot. The 21829 is easily the most capable saw of the ones you are looking at.

Downside is that it will not stand up to abuse as well as the Ridgid or Bosch. I don't think the Ridgid or Bosch would last any longer for the average DIY'er, they are just built tougher.
                        How much abuse will it really get in my garage? Its going to see light duty unless I really get into woodworking, but even then I dont see that much abuse. I think the hardest either of these three saws would see from me is the folding up and folding down of the unit. Which brings me to my next question...will the whole thing get whacked out of alignment every time I fold it to put away?

Stavs

Comment

• Sawatzky
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • CA
                          • Ridgid TS3650

I think when you talk about abuse it means that the Ridgid and Bosch will handle being bumped around in the back of a truck, and bumped around on the jobsite. the Craftsman may not handle those tasks as well. But they will all cut wood well, and the Craftsman will handle all the abuse that comes with running wood through the blade. If you just use in in your garage, it should last a long time. I have had my BT3100 for over 2 years and it has built some big projects. I rip full sheets of 3/4 inch plywood though it all the time (with infeed and outfeed support), and it works great. My saw has sawn a lot of oak and it runs just like it was brand new. Everyting works well and I can see it going for many more years. Of the 3 saws you are looking at the Bosch may be the best built and better brand, but the Craftsman will give you the most flexiblilty for a small shop. I don't think you will be at all dissapointed if you buy the Craftsman.

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I believe you have done your homework well and narrowed it down to three excellent choices. Go with your gut at this point. As far as support there are folks here and on other brand-specific sites to carry you but I, personally, spend 98% of my time right here, as much for the commaraderie as anything! Good folks!
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• dkerfoot
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Holland, Michigan
                              • Craftsman 21829

Now the Craftsman can be had for about $314 I guess if I shop right and wait.

How stable is the stand on the craftsman professional?
                              That was a crazy low price and I think you will wait a very long time to see it again. $349 or lower is a good price and I wouldn't torture yourself waiting to save $35 on a tool that will last a lifetime.

Once a month, Craftsman Club Prices bring it to that level.

The stand is surprisingly stable (as in I forget it is a mobile/foldable stand until I need to move it) and it stays aligned beautifully.

The BT3000 was in many ways a revolutionary saw. The BT3100 made it better. The 21829 is probably the final evolution of the product - the BT3000 with over a decade of experience...
                              Doug Kerfoot
                              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                              KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...