• Show
Clear All
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Jig for bisuit jointer

If you have lots of biscuits to cut this might be right up your alley.

Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Doing a job like that is a pure fire drill using biscuits. I never would have used biscuits for that type of procedure. Long grain glue ups don't require jointing implementation like biscuits. Edge to edge gluing would be more that sufficient. If anything I would have used splines over biscuits as they are a better method, but still not needed.

As for the supposed alignment function, biscuits don't insure alignment. This is just my personal opinion garnered from doing this kind of work over and over. For face alignment, cauls and shims work best for me.

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I just used biscuits to join the mitered edges of a plywood box I built to store maps. It's mitered because that way I don't have to cover exposed plywood edges with trim. I still needed corner clamps to get the alignment just right. In this instance I was worried about how strong a miter joint would be.

I'm about to replace another built-in cutting board. When I did the first one, without biscuits, I was worried about how it would hold together. After six months, it seems to be fine even though there were gaps on the order of a few thousandths between the board without clamping pressure. Of course, I'll know more after this winter.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Good info, Grant. That was interesting seeing the stock go from rough to the finished product. Lot's of nice furniture could have been made with those walls, tho. But, The customer got what they wanted.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          Good info, Grant. That was interesting seeing the stock go from rough to the finished product. Lot's of nice furniture could have been made with those walls, tho. But, The customer got what they wanted.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how many board feet went into simply paneling those walls. A friend of mine felled some cherry trees a couple of months and then asked me if they were any good barn siding. I told him the value and that if he sold them to a mill he would have siding and more than pocket cash. He still hasn't done anything with the logs and, as I understand it, their quality diminishes over time after being cut. Oh well, they're his trees, after all.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

Working...