• Show
Clear All
  • Scottw
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006
    • Deep East Texas

Just bought a 22114. Need other owners insight

Haven't picked it up yet.
    My shop is in the back yard and no way to get any closer than about 30 feet to the door. Then up 2 steps. I have a dolly and some helpers.
    I know it weighs in at 385#'s but is that put together?
    Does the top come on the saw?
    Can the base be moved unassembled?
    I have a Bies fence from Lowes. Should I go ahead and install it and sell the Factory one or vice a versa?
    Thanks for any help.
    Now matter what it's gonna be fun!!!!!
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Scottw
    Haven't picked it up yet.
    My shop is in the back yard and no way to get any closer than about 30 feet to the door. Then up 2 steps. I have a dolly and some helpers.
    I know it weighs in at 385#'s but is that put together?
    Does the top come on the saw?
    Can the base be moved unassembled?
    I have a Bies fence from Lowes. Should I go ahead and install it and sell the Factory one or vice a versa?
    Thanks for any help.
    Now matter what it's gonna be fun!!!!!
    The saw comes very well packaged, surrounded by a metal frame. There are a number of boxes. The cast iron wings are not attached and neither are the legs or the dust pan. Give yourself a couple of hours to put it together and don't let your help get away until you have the wings on.

Make sure you position it where you want it while assembling it. You have to turn it upside down on its top to attach the legs and dust pan and then turn it back over. Two people can easily move it and assemble it. Its a beast to move after assembled. Make sure you have adequate room on the outfeed side for cutting long boards. I got mine too close to the garage door and have to open the door everytime I rip something over 5 ft long. PITA.

The Bies fence is a better choice, hands down. The stock fence is pretty good as well but given the fact that you have the Bies, I would install that and sell the C-Man fence. You may have to drill holes in the wings and table top for the Bies, its easy to do. I did it to move my stock fence and rails to the right on my saw.

Follow the directions EXACTLY in the manual and you should have no problems. A 115volt/20amp source is recommended although it may run fine on a 15amp circuit. I haven't tried that. It has never tripped the breaker on the 20amp circuit. Good luck and take your time and get it right the first time.

Edit: If you have any intentions of putting it on a mobile base, do it now before you have the saw fully assembled. It will be a bear later.
    Last edited by ragswl4; 09-07-2007, 02:44 PM. Reason: Info on Mobile Base
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Congrats Scott...that's a great deal! Rags has offered some great insights. I agree with him...install the Biese and sell the stock fence as "NIB"...new in the box. Have fun...hope all goes well. Orion's tech service is pretty good should you have questions during regular business hours...
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Ya, you can dig out some of the items like the cast iron wings, etc prior to moving the actual saw.

Definately install the Biese and sell the Craftsman. Heck the Biese is only getting around $150 on ebay right now. There is a world of difference. I really, really dont like the fence on my Dads 22114.

BTW, we used his tractor with boom on back to unload his saw. Pretty easy! LOL!

Comment

• Scottw
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2006
          • Deep East Texas

Sounds pretty straight forward so I shouldn't have any trouble with the saw.
          But dealing with Sears employee's is another matter. Gathered up some help and went to pick up the saw last night after getting the email saying it was ready. Well it wasn't and they didn't have any in stock they said. "It must have been the NEW GUY pushed the wrong button". I'm not sure what button he was referring to, but they were about to find out what happens when you push the WRONG button on me!!!
          But I just decided I got a good deal and I wasn't going to get anywhere with the kids in the stockroom, they apologized for the mixup and said it would be in Wed afternoon, I left.
          As long as Sears doesn't try to re neg on the deal, I'll still be a happy camper.

Jeffery, I also have a tractor and boom. My son and son in law!!

Comment

Working...