• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dale In Corona
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Corona, CA, USA.

Need help, have two Vises sans handle

I bought two of those Peachtree woodworking vises that were on sale.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32391

They arrived yesterday and I only had a moment to examine one of them before I had to run off to some event for my nephew. At any rate, I didn’t see any handles in the box, (is that common?) which got me thinking (worrying actually) about what I should do about a handle. I don't even know what length or diameter an appropriate handle should be. And then while I was looking at the vise I realized another thing, I don’t know how to mount the wooden blocks to the inside of the front and back jaws. I imagine that the vise has to come apart to do it right but I didn’t want to disassemble my new vise until I knew that for sure, So, this forum being the place I tend to always get the best advice I thought I would ask here...

Can anyone tell me what to do about the handles? I do not have a lathe, so turning my own will not be an option. Will a piece of pipe work? I know that seems crude but... and what about the length and diameter?

Also, I know it seems lame, but I need to know how to mount the wood blocks, can anyone provide some instruction there for me?

Thanks,

Dale
    Last edited by Dale In Corona; 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

You could do what I did. I bought two vises on Ebay, and replaced the handles with a dowel rod to fit the hole. I attached a knob to either end of the dowels, and have lived happily ever after. WWFM

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

If you may have noticed, the item is "bench vise HARDWARE".

That said, these look rather similar to Grizzly H7788

Here is a picture showing how the vise is mounted:

and

As you can see, workbench apron serves as the fixed jaw, and moving jaw is attached with lag screws. You provide a handle. Most common solution is a length of dowel capped on either end.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

A dowel works fine, and for the end caps (since no lathe) use a block of wood and a hole saw. Then predrill and screw it to the dowel.

Yes a pipe works fine to, although it might need a little sanding to slide smoothly in the opening. Long ago, one of my schools used pipes, with just a little bit of sand in them, so the handle would slide down out of the way.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...