• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Sorta NOT Free-But What A Bargin

A little town about 30 miles from home has a small door making company, called Vintage Doors. They do bueatiful custom doors..pricey but grand. Anyway, was driving thru and noticed pallets of cut-offs out in front. Sign on them said; "5 for $10". Each pallet (3 in all) had maghony (sp) cutoffs ranging from 4/4-6/4 and 8/4's, anywhere from 4" wide to 12" wide and assorted lengths-some 8"-12"-14" and even 36"ers. Went inside and asked what they would take for the whole pallett? $50 bucks was the answer. Nearly got a friction burn from gettting my wallet out. So now I have a stack of wood in the shop that probably will turn into bowls, bandsawn boxes and who knows what come this winter. Drove home with a smile on my face like the "Cheshire Cat"
    in Alice in Wonderland!!
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!
  • bthere
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Alpharetta, GA

This is turning more and more into the You Sorta-Suck forum

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Might want to talk to the shop about taking all their cut offs off their hands in the future. Something like you stop in once a month to pick up the cutoffs which will help in keeping their shop clean of those unsightly cutoffs.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Dale In Corona
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2005
        • Corona, CA, USA.

You guys on here are so lucky to find these sort of deals, every place I call locally either claims that they:
        A: don't re-sell their cut offs
        B: has recently sold all of them and suggests that I call back another time to see if they have any
        C: and the best of all one even offered to add me to the "waiting list" of people looking for cut offs and said that when they get some stacked up to the point they are ready to dispose of them that, if the previous 30 some people on the list all said no they didnt want them, that they would be glad to call me and ask if I would be interested.

Dale

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by bthere
          This is turning more and more into the You Sorta-Suck forum
          I guess I started it with the rolling cull bin thread, but I posted it here because that's where I'd asked the original softwood question.

Anyway, what could be more important for a beginner to learn than ways to glom wood?

Comment

• linear
            • May 2004
            • DeSoto, KS, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by gwyneth
            Anyway, what could be more important for a beginner to learn than ways to glom wood?
            Wisely spoken.
            --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• ExYankee
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Pleasant View, Tn.
              • BT3100-frankensaw

My wife and I were "Lewis and Clarking" (random willy nilly exploring by car) in 2003and came across Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan NC. What a wood paradise! And he had a whole pallet of offcuts for $100 if memory serves. And for $20 I filled the back of our Forester with maybe 15 species ofr wood. I still am using them for odd and ends.
              John Dyer
              ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Several years ago a friend told me about "free" wood for the taking at the port. At the time I had an 8' x 10' flatbed shop truck, that I drove down there to see the "free wood" and was prepared to load it up.

There was wood alright, about 4 pallets worth. It was all Parana Pine, from Brazil. It was cut in lengths from 6' to 8' and widths from 4" to 8". Thickness varied from 1/2" to 3/4". I asked a dockworker nearby about it and was told that the "assignee" refused delivery, and it will be trashed.

Yes, it was free. Spent over an hour loading up as much as I thought I could carry. Stacked on the truck the pile was about 2-3 feet high. Got back to the shop, and couldn't wait to start using it. Come to find out there were insects in the material.

Well, called an exterminator, and had the pile treated. I think at the time it cost somewhere around $150 to $200. Still, a great deal. Used that stuff for drawers and other projects for a couple of years. Sanded smooth and very easy to finish. It was beautiful wood.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ExYankee
                  My wife and I were "Lewis and Clarking" (random willy nilly exploring by car) in 2003and came across Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan NC. What a wood paradise! And he had a whole pallet of offcuts for $100 if memory serves. And for $20 I filled the back of our Forester with maybe 15 species ofr wood. I still am using them for odd and ends.

Hmmm I am going to be around those parts for vacation next week. I could use a pile o mahg, zebra, and curly things.

Comment

• gwyneth
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                    I could use a pile o mahg, zebra, and curly things.
                    Presumably not like the curly things that infested cabinetman's haul (which he, single-handedly, probably prevented from infesting this continent.)

Comment

• reddog552
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Belleville Il.
                      • Bt3000

Wood gloat

For you PA guys.Kirt the head mill guy at THE BARN in Ebensburg Is a good frend of mine.He saves me alot of the cuttofs & mill mistakes.FREE about 2-3 truckloads a year. also turns me on to used router bits,they usualy just need a little touch-up sharpining.Last year I was looking for a bar counter top, Kirt says look at this 2 3/4" maple ply sheets glued together,and edge banded with maple 32" X 14' $30. jumped on it. then he says look at these,3 sheets maple ply scuffed on one side. $60 took it all.THATS MY GLOAT
                      The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Is that place anywhere close to GriZZly? Might want to make two trips this year!
                        RuffSawn
                        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Iansaws
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Marietta, Ga
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Simliar experience

I stopped by Lowes this past weekend to ask the salesman a question about ACQ vs MCQ pressure treated wood and he offered me a pile of various sized lumber for $30 that had some "minor cosmetic flaws". I wasn't sure how I was going to get it home, but I accepted his offer. When I checked out he totaled about 75% of the wood on the recept and it the value was about $600. What a deal. I was grinning all day as I unloaded my roof rack and inspected my haul. I am just starting to build my shop and this wood is going to come in very handy for the shelves and benches. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Cheers to Lowes as well. They have donated over $2000 in pressure treated lumber to a project I am coordinating in South Georgia...a 40', threesided climbing tower for blind children at the Georgia Lion's Camp for the Blind. We start construction this fall as long as I can raise the rest of the money for construction. Wish us luck.
                          I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

Comment

Working...