• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

3/4 ton rolling cull bin

Much earlier in the year, I posted questions about softwood grading and described some scuzzy 2 x 4s which had been delivered by the local building supply store. As always, forum folks were very useful and I learned a lot.

But I never got up the energy to return them, or deal with the problem over the phone, and managed to use most of them, or parts of them, except the four worst ones.

If you don't have an easy way to burn them, it's not easy disposing of 2 x 4s, so they'd been lying on the floor of the front porch being obnoxious--until Tuesday when I tripped over them one too many times.

Thinking the building supply place could at least let me throw them out there, so I tossed them into the truck.

Since I'm still working on utility storage, the first thing I asked the counter guy was whether they had a cull bin for pieces of plywood or laminate. No, he said, nothing like that--but possibly a few short board-type culls.

Then I explained about throwing out the bad 2 x 4s and was referred to ole Jim, the yard guy.

I went out and found ole Jim, who said I should return them for money. I mumbled something about after all this time, eight bucks wasn't what I was after, but maybe they had some odd pieces or culls. He said all they had was pieces of other 2 x 4s, perhaps some 2 x 6s. As we were heading off to look at those, ole Jim said, "It's too bad you're not looking for plywood."

When I told him the counter guy said they didn't have any odd pieces, Ole Jim rolled his eyes and told me he'd just finished collecting a pile.

Although it was hard to tell exactly what was the pile and what was its surroundings, I did distinguish some oak or luan midway down. As we went in to ask the owner about a price, I was thinking about the $50 in my pocket and that there was no way it would cover it.

After hearing ole Jim explain the situation, the owner started waxing enthusiastically about the heavy demand for miscellaneous plywood from duck blind builders. I mentioned the grotty 2 x 4s that I wouldn't dream of trying to return after six months.

The owner pointed at what looked like the top 3 or 4 sheets and said, "Well, $20?", making noises about counting the rest for evaluation. I said, "How about $25 and we don't bother counting?" After the owner agreed, ole Jim winked at me and told me they'd load the truck up. I went in to pay, still somewhat unclear about the extent of the stack.

When I came out, the truck was loaded and closed. Ole Jim told me he had been trying to decide what the heck to do with the stuff, so my visit was really opportune.

When I got home and opened up the back of the truck, it looked like the plywood fairy had visited!

I haven't even looked through it yet, much less unloaded it, so I still have no real idea what's there or how much of it is awful. The picture doesn't quite convey it, but it takes up the whole back.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gwyneth; 08-03-2007, 03:11 AM.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

My theory is that there is no such thing as a useless 2 x 4 and plywood falls into the same category. Well save for maybe OSB. Nice score. Looks like shop cabinets, toy boxes, your own wood storage bin, laundry room and shop shelves. Heck maybe there is a nice bookcase in there too. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Great score! It never hurts to haggle or do a little dumpster divin'...

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

I dunno I think the picture does a pretty good job conveying it.

It's a truck full of plywood. For 25 bucks.

Nicely done!
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• tropicaffair
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2003
          • Gloucester, MA, USA.

Excellent score! I always prefer to go to the two smaller lumber yards near me than either of the big box stores. Most older local yards tend to have an "ole Jim" working there.
          Russell

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Thanks Pat, Uncle Cracker, John and Russell...it sounds nutty but I really did need some reassurance.

Pat, the four 2 x 4s that prompted the trip were truly useless. Bowed, wanes so large that one of them narrowed to barely 2", soft spots, splits, checkers, big gouges--one of them looked like a composite picture of an illustration of flaws to avoid.

Before he unloaded them, ole Jim was sort of scoffing--I could tell he thought a five foot woman's idea of a 'bad' 2 x4 was going to be different from his...but by the time he lifted the fourth one out he was making terrible faces. Same thing happened when the owner looked at them.

The funny thing is that each of them said, "you should have told us what you were using them for" and I tactfully tried to tell them that I had. But by then the plywood deal was in progress.

Anyway, the real price of the plywood should be 25 plus the 8 bucks for the theatrically bad 2 x 4s...whether they entered ole Jim and the owner's calculations, they certainly affected things.

Comment

Working...