Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

30 Gallon Air Compressor Enough for HVLP

Folks,

Just wanted to know if a 30 gallon air compressor is enough if I am going to use it with HVLP gun for spraying finishes. Greatly appreciate any info. I currently have a pancake style compressor but has received an opportunity to purchase a 30 gallon porter cable compressor for $100.00 from my parents neighbor and wanted to know if I could use it for the purpose of spraying finishes.

Thank you,
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Depends on the output flow rate. Most HVLP guns need an SCFM of 8.0 or more at 40psi.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • IL, USA.
      • DELTA 36-675

This compressor is rated at 5.7 SCFM AT 90 PSI. So I take it this would not work?
      Last edited by SHADOWFOX; 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM.
      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Given that it outputs 5.7 scfm at 90psi it is possible that that compressor will put out at least 8 at 40psi. Don't take my word for it however check to see if the owner has a manual with the full specs. Or at least see if you can check out that models specs on PC's website. Also check some HVLP guns to see what their rate spec is.
        Last edited by sparkeyjames; 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

i just bought a hvlp set from hf. they are suppose to be operated at no more than 10psi, even though the box said that max was 35psi with a 9 or 11 scfm use at 35psi. so when you operate the gun at 10 to 15psi, you wont need that much scfm and hence the 30 gal compressor that puts out 5.7scfm at 90psi will work in my opinion. i guess you could use ratios to see how much scfm is going to be put at 10 to 15 psi.

i have only sprayed oil based poly on a project for about 5 times now. at 30psi, there was toooo much cloud. however, since i dropped down to 10psi, the cloud has dissapered, but i had to use a mixture thinned at 1 to 1 to get a decent spray. i am still working on getting a good finish though.

that is my limited experience. not sure if i was of any help though.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I think it will be at least adequate but it depends a lot on the gun. I use a Wagner conversion gun on a little Bostitch conpressor that is only 2.7 at 90 and 3.4 at 40psi. It works but not real well. I have to run the gun at low pressure, like 12psi, with the compressor regulator set at around 90 psi. I bought the wagner conversion gun because it works with little compressors. It also has changable nozzle sets so you can spray very thick and very thin material. My gun cost about $125. I got it from Gleempaint. I am thinking of upgrading to a compressor like you describe or even just a larger pancake or twin tank.

I like spraying Resisthane. It is about $35 a gallon delivered. I buy it from Hood finishing products. Resisthane if a water based pre-catalyzed lacquer that is rated for kitchen cabinets. I have used gloss clear for most of the time but I am finishing some shutters with white Resisthane currently. I've also successfully sprayed Minwax water based poly.

Jim

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
              This compressor is rated at 5.7 SCFM AT 90 PSI. So I take it this would not work?
              You might be ok. A lot of compressors rated at 5.7 @90PSI are around 8 @40PSI

Comment

Working...