• Show
Clear All
  • gettools
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • Fort Worth, Texas
    • BT3100

Whats Your Opinion ??

Good morning !! I havent posted much to this sight but i read & learn alot, thanks for the good info. My question is this I hve very limited space in my garage so I am thinking about getting rid of my vintage Rockwell/Delta contractor saw for a mobil fold up unit that I can fold up out of the way. I have 3 in mind & wanted yalls opinion. The bosch 4000-09, the ridgid TS2400 or the craftsman 21829. I have tried to do some research but there is not much comparing these three saws. Any help would be appreiciated
    Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

No experience with any of those but an alternative is one of the guided systems. I got one awhile back (EZ Smart system) when I had extremely limited space and found that I could do things with it that couldn't (at least safely) be done on my contractor saw.
    Last edited by MikeMcCoy; 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• gettools
      Established Member
      • Sep 2006
      • Fort Worth, Texas
      • BT3100

what do you mean by guided system, what is EZ smart system
      Mark

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

http://www.eurekazone.com/products/detail/mb1.html
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• prlundberg
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Minnesota
          • Craftsman 21829

The 21829 is by far the most capable saw of that bunch, but also the most fragile.

IMO if you are going to abuse them as a contractor saw the Ridgid or Bosch would be better. But if you are just looking for something that folds up the 21829 will serve you well.

I like my 21829. When set up correctly it's accurate and very flexible. There's really nothing else out there quite like it. It goes on sale for under $400 fairly frequently. I joined the Craftsman Club and got mine for about $360 last year.

Tthe 21829 is a Ryobi BT3100 with a mobile stand and router kit. Do a search here and you'll find more detailed comments on the saw.
          Phil

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I also would recommend the EZ Smart system. But I am also somewhat of a follower of the use what you have and save money first idea. How portable do you need it? What do you do with it (and how thick do you cut)?.

If you search here you'll see cabinets that people build to roll their saws around on (would you have the room to roll it under a bench).
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Ridgid and Bosch are both well respected jobsite saws, and the Craftsman is essentially a BT-3100 clone that's actually made by Ryobi.

General International has a new portable that's different from anything I've seen....it appears to be a full size cast iron hybrid on a folding portable base. The saw itself looks similar to the Jet 708100 hybrid, but the portable leg stand is completely different. IIRC, it's in the $600 range but appears to offer the best of both worlds.

GI 50-090K:

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Don't know if you have the headroom, but I knew a guy years ago who rigged his TS with folding legs, and then put a pulley system to raise the whole thing to the ceiling. Only took him about 30 seconds to show it or stow it. Saved him a lot of space.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.

Mark,
                  I reviewed the Bosch 4009 with the Gravity Rise sand (VERY trick by the way) and really liked it. See the link below.

I kept that saw in my shop for a long time as a second table saw but eventually sold it to make room. Since posting that review I have gotten a steady stream of comments from users who love the 4009, often for the same reasons you are considering it. It saves space big time but for it's size, it very capable.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bshts4000rvu.html
                  Tom Hintz
                  NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• gettools
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2006
                    • Fort Worth, Texas
                    • BT3100

LinuxRandal,
                    to answer your questions, I am a wood working newbie sort of, I have built some book cases & a cedar chest, so nothing real intricate. I have my wifes van in the garage a couple of work benches, lawnmowers & misc stuff, just not a lot of room for my contractor saw without a lot of moving around to get to stuff, so I thought I would look into a folding unit that I could put by tje wall or a lighter saw that i could put under a bench, I know the 21829 & the 4009 are plastic housings & easier to remove from a bench or to place under a bench. I am open to any & all ideas
                    Mark

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Checkout Eurekazone.com and check out it's forum over at Sawmillcreek.

MEMBERS WITH THE 21829, PLEASE post how well it holds it's alignment from movement.

I've heard wonderfull things with the Bosch, and it's stand seems to be a little more hefty/durable. But I don't know anyone who has one (again, alignment after moving).

Heck for some people, even a benchtop saw, with the Jimmy Jig mod, may work for them.

Look through the posts here of what people have made, you can see their saws in their profiles. Check out reviews, only you can decide for you. But with the projects you mentioned, I know they could be done with the EZ smart.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• prlundberg
                        Established Member
                        • May 2006
                        • Minnesota
                        • Craftsman 21829

I haven't had any alignment issues so far with my 21829, but mine only rolls around the garage floor. Sorry I can't be of more help, but as long as you use the handles on the stand when moving it and don't take it down stairs or off curbs, I don't see why there would be any issues.

The Bosch stand is heftier and has better wheels but it functions the same. Judging from what I saw in the store, the Bosch appears to be better built but the 21829 has more significantly more capacity and more features. The 21829 is fairly difficult for one person to lift due to its size and odd shape. It has a metal cabinet, while the Bosch is plastic.
                        Phil

Comment

Working...