• Show
Clear All
  • ufg8r85
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Stuart Florida
    • bt3

Sanding end grain

I'm making a wooden logic puzzle which requires 27 .75x.75 cubes. Which way should I sand the end grain sides? With the growth rings or against them. The other 4 sides of each cube are no problem.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's always best to sand with the grain, or in the same direction of the grain. Depending on the specie of wood and the intended finish, the sanding grits used may be a smoother grit than what is used on the other faces.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
      It's always best to sand with the grain, or in the same direction of the grain. Depending on the specie of wood and the intended finish, the sanding grits used may be a smoother grit than what is used on the other faces.
      +1 on what CabMan says. I've found that I can get end grain pretty much the same color (not darker) than the face grain if I'm diligent about sanding one or two grits finer on the end grain. Don't skimp on the sanding--go about twice as long as you think you need on the end grain.

I did read an article once that suggested starting one grit coarser on end grain and finishing with the same grit as the rest of the piece. I haven't tried that yet, though....

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by gsmittle
        I did read an article once that suggested starting one grit coarser on end grain and finishing with the same grit as the rest of the piece. I haven't tried that yet, though....

g.
        Boy, I don't know about that. Once you get those deep scratches in end grain, its hard to get em out. I always sand with lighter grits, even from the start. Actually, I use a mill file to smooth it first. Try it, you'll be surprised how nice it works. Also, a word on matching with stain. True, sand with 1 finer grit than the rest of the piece, but also try some Minwax prestain conditioner on the end grain before staining.

Todd

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by hermit
          Boy, I don't know about that. Once you get those deep scratches in end grain, its hard to get em out. I always sand with lighter grits, even from the start. Actually, I use a mill file to smooth it first. Try it, you'll be surprised how nice it works. Also, a word on matching with stain. True, sand with 1 finer grit than the rest of the piece, but also try some Minwax prestain conditioner on the end grain before staining.

Todd
          Yeah, I thought it was a squirrely idea, too. I'll have to try the mill file method and conditioner. I haven't done too many pieces yet, so each project is a learning experience....

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...