Clear All
  • dtam
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • santa clara, CA
    • delta 36-675

new harbor freight lathe

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95607

Does anyone know if this is a good lathe? It's currently on sale for $99.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Interesting....

Haven't seen or used it but the #1 Morse Taper and 3/4-16 TPI spindle causes me some concern, and the weight is significantly less than other midi's. Depending on your intended use it may be o.k. if it's available in stores and you use the 30 day return policy.
    • 750-3200 RPM variable speed for precise control
    • 1/3 HP motor
    • Comes with #1 Morse taper head and tail stock; 2" and 6" face plates, 4" and 7" tool rests
    • CSA, UL listed
    110V, 60 Hz, 250 watts; 3/4" drive spindle, 16RH thread; Weight: 44 lbs.

Comment

• softop41
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Plainfield, IL, USA.
      • BT3100-1

HMMMM...
      I have the Jet mini and while is it a good lathe for what it is intended to do, it comes up a bit short on horsepower when you get around 8" stock and that's with a 1/2 HP motor. It was $40 more than the HF one and definately has better service behind it. As Ken said, #1 tapers and 3/4" spindle are areas of concern as well as the 1/3 HP motor.
      I'd say that if you have ANY thoughts that you will like turning, get a bit larger one to start with. The quality and size of the lathe directly affect your enjoyment and quality of your turning experience.
      I had turned 40+ years ago and should have gotten something larger the first time because now I'm in the upgrade market 6 months after buying the Jet.
      Just mu $.02.
      Jerry
      Jerry
      Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• dwlind
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2006

Looks identical to my little Wilton mini lathe (OK for pens and other small items), Amazon has it for about 100 dollars
        http://www.amazon.com/99177-12-Inch-...2339500&sr=8-1,

It is also identical to the Penn State turncrafter plus which Penn State sells for 159
        http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclplus.html

Doug

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I agree with the comments about the size. I bought my first lathe as a lark and it was a display model for $65. I couldn't turn it down. For what I was doing at the time it was perfect. It has 40" between centers and 14" swing, and 4 speeds. Large enough for most anything I'd do. It came with only a spur bit. It's an import, and the frame isn't really massive.

I don't have much to complain about except a better model will have more features and be better built. I was looking for something to turn balusters and spindles, and it works fine for that. If you watch the ads it may be worth waiting for a better all around lathe.

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I agree with the comments about the size. I bought my first lathe as a lark and it was a display model for $65. I couldn't turn it down. For what I was doing at the time it was perfect. It has 40" between centers and 14" swing, and 4 speeds. Large enough for most anything I'd do. It came with only a spur bit. It's an import, and the frame isn't really massive.
            HF's "Inside Track" (ten bucks for a year of online only access) price for a similar model (40", 1/2 HP, four speeds, spur and live center, 88 lbs.) is currently $79.95.

Comment

Working...