• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlm
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • Austin, TX

Lumber in NW Indiana/SW Michigan

I live in Hammond, Indiana and make frequent trips to South Bend. Does anyone have any recommendations for rough-sawn lumber suppliers in this area? Woodfinder turned up a couple of small sawmills with pretty reasonable price lists, so I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with any of these guys?

Hickory And Oak Custom Sawmilling
    G.W. Green, Urban Sawyer
    Powers Hardwoods

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome - I don't mind driving a bit for a good supplier. I'm just about finished with my house remodel, now it's time to start building furniture to put in it, so I'll likely be buying a fair amount of wood in the near future.
  • bdk5
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Chicago, IL, USA.

Hickory and Oak does an annual lumber run to the Chicago area, where I picked up a load of cherry and some walnut a couple years ago. Prices (even after the fuel surcharge) were far better than anything local, and the wood was good quality. In fact, the cherry was cheaper than I could find poplar, so I bought cherry for interior case parts instead of a secondary wood. Also, very responsive to my questions via e-mail beforehand.

Comment

Working...