• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • havighurst
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • Metamora, MI, USA.

Lumber Moisture Question

I am looking to make a porch rocker and want to use some cedar that I have recently purchased. What moisture content is acceptable for an outdoor project?
    \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Indoor or outdoor doesn't matter, IMO. Regardless you don't want the wood to move after it is where you put it at assembly. You will be applying finish to the rocker, that should stabilize the interior moisture content even tho the exterior ambient humidity is changing. I aim for 10% max, preferably 8%. With Eastern Red Aromatic Cedar, or White Cedar I might cheat some, both are pretty stable due to the oil content, Aromatic more so than White.
    HTH, good luck with the rocker, please post some pics.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Ken is 100% right on the money here.

Comment

• havighurst
        Established Member
        • Jun 2004
        • Metamora, MI, USA.

Thanks. I am between 12-15% right now depending on the board. I have a fan running in the garage for 4-6 hrs a day to keep air circulating. Any estimates on how long it might take to get to 8-10% ?

If I just had built that solar kiln...
        \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by havighurst
          I have a fan running in the garage for 4-6 hrs a day to keep air circulating.
          Do you have any windows open, or some other means to effect air changes? If not, the fan will just recirculate the same moisture-laden air and you really won't get anywhere.
          Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

In South Florida, we have a basically humid climate, but rarely does it get below freezing. Humidity during the period of one day could vary as much as 50% - 60%, within 4-5 hours. IOW it could go from 40% to 90% in that time or less.

For my outdoor projects with Cedar, I acclimate the stock in the area it goes, and then do the machining. Applying a finish doesn't insure the wood is sealed completely. Wood can absorb water vapor in the air from numerous areas. If I dry out the wood, and do machining and apply a finish, then put it outside, the wood will move. Likewise, if I bring a piece from the outside to the inside, it will shrink.

Comment

• cobob
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Rolla, MO, USA.
              • BT3100

Rumor has it that burying the wood in saw dust rockets the drying process??

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by cobob
                Rumor has it that burying the wood in saw dust rockets the drying process??
                Only if it's dry sawdust!

Seriously I have no idea, it's an interesting idea tho.

Comment

Working...