• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

T9 Boeshield Spray

I just sprayed this on the surfaces of my machines. Should I let it dry or wipe it off immediately? Any info would be great.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Hey Chris,
    I wipe it off after about a minute. The coat will be thinner so it will need to be redone more often but I like the finish better than letting it dry by itself.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It seems that different folks use it in different ways. I spray on and wipe it off so that it dries better. I follow with 2 coats of paste wax after 24 hours and get ~ 6 months protection in the NE in an unheated garage.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
        Hey Chris,
        I wipe it off after about a minute. The coat will be thinner so it will need to be redone more often but I like the finish better than letting it dry by itself.

I also don't let it dry. I don't use a stopwatch, but it's probably closer to 5 minutes. I also use Johnson's Paste Wax. I wipe that stuff off as soon as possible, like as soon as I'm done applying it. Made the mistake just once of letting it dry, and it was a major event rubbing it off.

I've had untreated CI tables, that get the morning humidity, and by the afternoon, rust is already starting to form. So, it's a constant task.

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I am like dustmight. I get several months between applications here in Pa. Our weather runs the gambit from 100+ degree days in summer, to severe winter tundra.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

I've been reading about the wonders of Boeshield and visited ther website. I was surprised to see they are located about a mile from my house!
            Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Just remember that when it comes to Boeshield and paste wax that you can't really "build" layers. I have heard of folks putting 5 coats of wax on a TS. Pointless IMHO as the solvent in the wax red-issolves the original coat(s).

Having said that, I think it may be a good idea to "season" a CI surface with a coat of paste wax every few days for the first few weeks. This is completely hypothetical on my part and I have no basis for this behavior.

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                Pointless IMHO as the solvent in the wax red-issolves the original coat(s).
                Also, the physical behavior of wax is unique. The bonds between wax molecules are so weak that wax doesn't really adhere to other wax, so layers of wax are, as Jeffrey says, useless because more wax will not adhere to the original wax.

Comment

• MBG
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Chicago, Illinois.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                  I just sprayed this on the surfaces of my machines. Should I let it dry or wipe it off immediately? Any info would be great.
                  I actually let the T9 set-up for several hours if not overnight. It jells up pretty good....might have to call the mfg. to see which method is correct.

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I though that the only reason for a second 'coat' of wax was to ensure coverage. I guess I'm doing it right but I need to do it more often.
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• gwyneth
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by ironhat
                      I though that the only reason for a second 'coat' of wax was to ensure coverage. I guess I'm doing it right but I need to do it more often.
                      I've been looking for some great wax info I had--it came in a pack of industrial info from some petroleum byproduct company. If I could find it, I could give the technical explanation for the 'wax won't stick to wax' principle.

In any case, spots could certainly be missed in the first 'coat'...but any place there's any wax, more wax won't 'stick'.

The science behind Jeffrey's statement about some people doing a coat every few days would be that wax can wear off (or rub off on something passing over it).

Comment

• Holbren
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Heathrow, FL.

If you leave it on too long an it's cold out, you will get a sticky goo that can't easily be wiped off. Trust me on that one.
                        Brian
                        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                        www.holbren.com

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          I also don't let it dry. I don't use a stopwatch, but it's probably closer to 5 minutes. I also use Johnson's Paste Wax. I wipe that stuff off as soon as possible, like as soon as I'm done applying it. Made the mistake just once of letting it dry, and it was a major event rubbing it off.

I've had untreated CI tables, that get the morning humidity, and by the afternoon, rust is already starting to form. So, it's a constant task.
                          QFT, and bump.
                          Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by LarryG
                            QFT, and bump.

My response in this thread.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Houston, TX, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100-1

So maybe I used too much Boeshield T-9? I wanted the heavy coat since I'm in the highly humid south Houston area, so the instructions said to spray and let dry. Well it has been two days and it is still a little wet. I also sprayed the bottom and sides of my cast iron scroll saw table. Is it time to wipe some off? I still have to apply the Johnson's paste wax. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
                              Rita

Comment

Working...