X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Very, very nice, Rob (inspirational, too). Modular makes a lot of sense for shop furniture (I think for some other kinds, too, such as office/study, but that's another discussion).

Using culls, recycled stuff, free and almost-free materials, etc. effectively really calls for at least as high a level of creativity and workmanship as turning 210 bd. ft of white oak into a table, and you've done it beautifully.

Comment

• movnup
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006
      • Seattle
      • BT3000

Take a look at my post on my woodshop http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...+shop+makeover it is almost all made out of particle board including the air compressor sound enclosure. It was all free from Craigs List so it was more of a mental challenge to make it work and stand up to hard use.

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

uses for particle board?

Gwyneth, I don't find very many uses for particle board. I remember an old guy who worked for an appliance / furniture store I worked for years ago
        disliked it as well, he called it "bubblegum wood" just sawdust,chips and bubblegum holding it together.

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

I'd completely agree if I were paying for it, but two things: this stuff was virtually free, which seems to expand the 'useful universe' slightly, and it's a little better these days than it used to be. Lots finer particles.

Plus it's supposed to be safer to work with than fiberboard--both have the formaldehyde binders, but they don't cook the particles.

Comment

Working...