• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Hand tool theory

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but in the process of trying to find another plan to make a mortise gauge I discovered several interesting sites. (I also found out that a British company sells its mortise gauge for --sit down--235 pounds. Makes L-N look like HF.)

This site not only has plans for several gauges, it has lots of information about mortise gauge and marking knife theory, and very detailed stuff about the principles of working with hand tools:

A Woodwork Notebook - Jeff Gorman

Here's an extremely detailed article, with both theory and how-to, by Ian Kirby about marking with gauges (shares perfection spirit with Rod, maybe they are related):

Woodworker's Journal Marking Tools

This site has probably been mentioned here several times but here it is anyway. Lots of sources of hand tools and info about them:

Traditional woodworking resources: tool sources, lore, events and more.

The Electronic Neanderthal Woodworker
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

Gwyneth,

Thanks for posting these. I hope I'll have time to study them more later, very detailed information.

I agree, Ian Kirby (author) and our own Rod Kirby must be related.

I wonder if we really do have any author's subscribed to this site.

Chris
    - Chris.

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

Ever since I read Ian Kirby's table saw book seven or eight years ago, I have been amazed at the depth of his information. If he didn't provide so much theoretical stuff, and therefore the logic behind his and other methods, I expect he'd be really annoying (I've always wondered how his students feel about him).

But...one of the problems with some woodworking information is that it either ignores or doesn't explain the science/theory behind techniques that work. (In another life I wrote and edited cookbooks and this is even more true about food info.)

If we know the theory, we can work much more effectively and predictably. That's what I thought was so great about Jeff Gorman's site--instead of just passing on traditional methods, he tested and improved them, and explains why something works and why something wouldn't.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Good links.

Thanks Gwyneth.

And yes, we do have authors here - at least one that I can recall right-away : Tom Hintz. Check his site out.

Not to forget the many (many) sites 'authored' by various other members that great to browse thru.

Maybe we need to have a thread with all such 'member owned' websites...
        Last edited by radhak; 06-05-2007, 10:21 AM.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by gwyneth
          But...one of the problems with some woodworking information is that it either ignores or doesn't explain the science/theory behind techniques that work. (In another life I wrote and edited cookbooks and this is even more true about food info.)
          I bet you either have, or would like, the book On Food and Cooking, by Harold McGee.

When it comes to sharpening, the Leonard Lee book is a good analogy, and plays into the hand tool subject.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

Working...