X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1index only
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

the best boards for a board?

A cutting board that is. I have made a few cutting boards and didn't know any different until now that some wood is better than others for cutting boards due to their porosity and grains that affect the way they react with food. I even heard that some woods can affect someone with nut alergies? So what are the better woods to use in cutting board projects?
  • mikel
    Established Member
    • Jul 2006
    • philadelphia
    • bt 3100

my cherry boards look great...

...m

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

Hard maple is a favorite for cutting boards. In fact I am amking a couple end grain maple cutting boards right now.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

boards

For cutting boards or anything else in kitchen where there is food contact,
        definately, rock hard maple is the best choice. eezlock

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

You have hit the nail on the head. The grain and how open the pores are is a concern. As others note, hard maple is great in that it has very tight grain, very closed pores and holds up to cutting action well. Cherry would work well. A combo of those two would be great.

As far as allergies I can tell you that some woods really get to me. White oak and fish tail oak are two that come to mind. Fish tail sent me to Dr twice before I figured that one out. Having said that I have no problem being exposed to finished products. In my case it is the cutting, planing, sanding and other fine dust contributors that set me off. As far as a nut allergy I have never heard that before.

Comment

• blame
            Established Member
            • May 2007
            • Northern MO
            • delta ts-220 or something like that

while i was in school we made cutting boards out of hard maple and walnut

but be aware that anywood that will spalt becomes a hazard to your health
            spalting is caused by a fungus growing on the wood

blame

Comment

• bradley_osu
              Forum Newbie
              • May 2006
              • Columbus, OH
              • None yet :(

Boo's Blocks use hard rock maple. I would say that's the best then.

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

This is Maple and Cherry. I drilled holes through each section and used threaded rod, washers and nuts to hold it all together. I used TBII and it has held together so far.

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...