• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

My first try with a belt sander today.

I rented a 4x24 Bosch belt sander today since I needed one and WOW! was I shocked at the amount of wood that thing will chew up. I couldn't believe it. I thought I had one since I own a 3x18 Ryobi but I don't. They both shouldn't even be called the same thing. My word that 4x24 is just the most amazing tool I've ever tried. I'm buying one now. Man!
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • MilDoc

Yup. Best thing going for the right job. Gotta be careful with it though. Ruined a few nice pieces of wood before I got the hang of it.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Getting used to handling and the "feel" of a belt sander reminds me of when I first joined the Army and had to use one of those stand up floor buffers. Man, handled wrong those things can take you for a ride. BUT, once one masters the balance and "feel" of the machine you can almost use it with one hand.

The same goes with a belt sander. The tool can be your worst nightmare, or your best friend. Having all that weight out in front of you, and the balance, is the trick. In just plane surfacing, care has to be taken when moving it as either the front or rear roller can leave tiny (or large) "dents". It takes a lot of practice, and patience, and material.

One of my more "oh no's" happened with a belt sander. While sanding and either re-positioning the piece or moving the cord out of the way, don't know which, but my little finger got caught between the rear roller and the rear roller shell (case) and took a trip up and around the top and out the front, lickety split. It was over FAST. No real damage except for a slight sanding that I didn't really need.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

LOML had some sanding to do( thought she was doing me a favour) and figured she would use my 3x24 Makita. She unraveled the cord, pluged it in, pulled the trigger, and watched the sander take off across the floor . When she caught up with the sander, LOML carefully wrapped up the cord and put my makita away. Then she hand sanded the rest.
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
          LOML had some sanding to do( thought she was doing me a favour) and figured she would use my 3x24 Makita. She unraveled the cord, pluged it in, pulled the trigger, and watched the sander take off across the floor . When she caught up with the sander, LOML carefully wrapped up the cord and put my makita away. Then she hand sanded the rest.
          Unfortunately, some fun-loving gentlemen in my last Stage Design class discovered that. For a couple of days we played "where's the belt sander?" until I locked up all the belts.

At the USITT conference every year they hold belt sander races. Anybody know if there's a pro circuit yet?

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by gsmittle

At the USITT conference every year they hold belt sander races. Anybody know if there's a pro circuit yet?
            g.

Check out this thread:
            This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

And:

Last edited by cabinetman; 05-30-2007, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• lcm1947
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Austin, Texas
              • BT 3100-1

Yeah Cabinetman I worried about that some so tucked my shirt in. I've never really worried about tucking it in with any other tool but I started it up at first just to get a feel of it and knew to tuck it in. I could just see that thing grabbing my shirt and pulling my gut into it. Ouch! I'm surprised and happy that you still have a finger. That would get your attention in a hurry. Well, MilDoc I wasn't going to mention it but yeah I'll have to redo the first piece I sanded. Awesome machine!

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I think a 3x21 belt sander is more useful than a 4x24. I can use a 3x21 one handed pretty easily and I can also use it on edges. I do not think I would want to do either with a 4x24 (which I've used but not very much). A 3x21 will also remove wood quickly. I have a rebuilt Ryobi 3x21 that works very well. It is flat on the back so I sometimes turn it over and use it like a little stationary sander on small pieces. It has variable speed and pretty good dust collection (a very good feature on a sander in general and especially one that makes a lot of dust).

Jim

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Evening Jim...

You might mention you can use it upside down also. I have the early Ryobo 3 x 21 and the Bosch 4 x 24, and I agree that the 3 x 21 is more useful for me. The truth is... I don't hardly use either except on outside jobs.. but the few times I did use one in the shop.. the 3 x 21 was the better ride for what I needed a belt sander for.

Regards...

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

The 4" sanders always seem too big to me. Like others, for me the 3x21 is the perfect size. Drop by the Playpen sometime and gets some hands on with my PC 352VS. Best belt sander I have ever used!
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Yes there is no doubt the 3x21" would be the one to buy. I'd probably go with the Makita though as it really got good reviews in the magizines and customer reviews I've seen. The Ryobi does look good though for $100.00.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

The Ryobi is an even better deal at $60 rebuilt from Cummins. Even at full price, the Ryobi got a best buy award from FWW if my memory is working tonight.

Jim

Comment

• lcm1947
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Austin, Texas
                          • BT 3100-1

Well yeah for $60.00 it would be a no brainer JimD. My only real problem with another Ryobi ( I've got the 3x18 already ) is that the 3x21 Ryobi at least according to the 2005 Tool Review shows that it was clocked at " stock removal " of only 77g. I'm thinking since I already have the 3x18 it wouldn't be much different then what I already have. Kind of thinking a more aggressive one like the Makita clocked at 102g. The DeWalt came in at 110g but $30.00 more plus the Makita was lighter by 2 1/2 lbs which to me is important. Course if the little 3x18 that I have is a lot lower then it's big brother the 3x21 then maybe that would make sense but I don't know so have to assume it's pretty close. Actually the Hitachi looks very good at $129.00 at Lowe's everyday price and clocked at 96g but they have this real wide platen. They say that you can still sand flush to the right but the belt has to be shifted off center to accomplish it. Make no sense to me why they would do this but I suppose they had a reason.

Comment

Working...