• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Old Pie Safe

I've been working to strip off several coats of old paint from a poplar pie safe. It belonged to my wife's great-grandmother so it's a neat piece to have even though it's nothing fancy.

I was going to prime the sides before painting it back to either a white or beige color. But looking at the sides with the primer, you can see every flaw there, scratches, dents, etc. Maybe that should just be part of the piece since it's this old. Should I leave and move forward or try to correct any of it ?

Just wanted some opinions before I added another layer of paint that had to be removed !

Thanks,
    Steve
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

It's called "character" ...

Well at least that is what I tell my wife when I refinish one of the old family pieces ... of course it depends on the circumstance and condition of the piece but I usually try to keep the "character" of the piece when I refinish because that is a part of its history. That chip out of the edge may be ..." ... where uncle Mark lost both front teeth when aunt Sally pushed him into the pie safe when he pulled her hair when she was 4 ... " ... I believe those battle scars tell a story that should be preserved in most cases ....

.. my 2 cents...

Bade
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I have to agree with Bade. Keep 'em.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I've got some old pieces that my first wife used to throw at me. I'll keep that in mind. I do believe in retaining the character. Maybe just use really old paint.

Comment

• rja
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Keep the battle scars. Consider milk paint.

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I've got some old pieces that my first wife used to throw at me. I'll keep that in mind. I do believe in retaining the character. Maybe just use really old paint.

...and reeally old pies. Gives a certain ambiance to the piece.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

Working...