• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Dado on SCMS

Was watching NYW and Norm was making dados via RAS and dado blades. Can dado stack be used on an SCMS? I would think no, but just wanted to make sure.
    -Paul
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Originally posted by p8ntblr
    Was watching NYW and Norm was making dados via RAS and dado blades. Can dado stack be used on an SCMS? I would think no, but just wanted to make sure.
    Your thinking is correct. That use is one of the reasons they are still liked by some groups, although, they prefer the older, better built units (mostly till early in the 60's).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I don't think the arbor on a SCMS is wide enough for a dado blade. also a RAS is much more rigid.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Problem is how SCMS moves - blade lowers all way through the wood, and sliding action allows to cut wider pieces. Far as I know, there is no way to set the blade to stop a certain distance from table and move parallel to it. Whereas on a RAS, blade always moves a precisely set distance from table.

Cutting dadoes on a RAS is actually very nice - especially on long workpieces.

Comment

• p8ntblr
          • Jan 2007
          • So Cal
          • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by scorrpio
          Problem is how SCMS moves - blade lowers all way through the wood, and sliding action allows to cut wider pieces. Far as I know, there is no way to set the blade to stop a certain distance from table and move parallel to it. Whereas on a RAS, blade always moves a precisely set distance from table.

Cutting dadoes on a RAS is actually very nice - especially on long workpieces.
          I'm not sure this goes for all SCMS but my Dewalt DW708 has an adjustable stop to set the cut depth. And I have used it to make dados but it's time consuming because it's only the size of a single blade. Also (and this could just be my technique) but the dados are never very smooth. I saw Norm using the RAS with a dado stack and saw how quickly he made his dados and was hoping I could do the same with my SCMS. The combination seems to work really well on long pieces where a TS might be more cumbersome. I guess I'll have to stick to a router. I'm not gonna buy a RAS just for that

I'm still waiting for the Freud SD508 to drop again. So Jeffrey please keep your eyes out for that. Kicking myself for not ordering when the price was like $130.
          Last edited by p8ntblr; 05-20-2007, 10:53 PM.
          -Paul

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

p8ntblr, just because you don't want to buy one just for dado's, still keep your eyes out.

I picked my mid 60's DeWalt for $75. Long before I had a miter saw. There are deals to be had.

On the other side, you can do longer dado's with your router, and router bits are reasonable.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

My makita also has a stop. The issues are a few. They typically won't take a dado stack, and so you have to nibble your way to a dado. The arm typically has some flex, so it's very hard to get a flat consistent bottom. Also, if you try it, find yourself a blade with flat ground teeth.

All in all, it's more efficient to cut the dado with a router or the table saw. My father in law has a RAS, and we've used it for dados, but for some reason, those machines give me the willeys.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• scorrpio
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Wayne, NJ, USA.

RAS is not for the faint-hearted. For dadoes, you take the blade guard off, and seeing that stack of blades fully exposed and going at 3500rpm a few inches from the hand holding the carriage handle is kinda scary. My BT3, I never have blade guard on - it's riving knife and ZCTP - but on RAS, I install the guard immediately once I swap the regular blade back in.

Btw, I picked my RAS for $120 off ebay, and after a thorough cleaning and tuning, it's a beauty.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by scorrpio
                  For dadoes, you take the blade guard off
                  Why? The only reason I can think of would be if the guard is not wide enough to accommodate the stack. If so, that's a design trait of your particular saw (and a very bad one, I might add).
                  Larry

Comment

• scorrpio
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Now that I think about it... The guard IS perfectly capable of accomodating a dado...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good early call, Tom Slick. I don't think I have seen a SCMS that has an arbor wide enough to accomodate a dado stack. And most I have seen are not even wide enough to accomodate a stiffner for that matter. I was going to put one on my Hitachi with a Freud 12" 72 T TK blade... but no dice.

Much as I like the Frued SCMS blade, it will get replaced down the road with a standard kerf blade to help reduce flex you can get on a SCMS in extremely hard stock with a 12" TK.

Regards...

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                        • Dec 2006
                        • hagerstown, md

Cutting trenches is the main reason why I bought my ras. Eventually as I get the workshop together (and kirbytised) I'll find a place for it instead of on the floor.
                        パトリック
                        daiku woodworking
                        ^deshi^
                        neoshed

Comment

Working...