• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

how to paint MDF?

I am building a yet another speaker cabinet, I have successfully veneered my last speaker, but now this time I like to try painting the MDF.

1. what kind of filler/sanding will be needed before primer?
    2. what is the proper primer for the MDF? anything I need to know about the pain?

thanks,

gychang
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

i used joint compound, per the advice of a taunton press editor, and it worked nice.

for primer, i used zinsser bin (red label, spray can). after the 1st primer coat i used steel wool. 2nd coat, then sand again.

i used a spray laquer, and it worked great.
    Pete

Comment

• whitecobra
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
      • BT3K with most accessories

We use diluted dry wall spackle also
      As for primer most of the time there is no need

Dr D
      Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• lrr
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Fort Collins, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT-3100

Joint compound is a great filler. As for primer, I swear by Kilz -- plenty of solids in it to give a smooth finish. You can use a cheap roller to apply, and it sands easily to give you a really smooth finish before painting.
        Lee

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I also use joint compound, then primer, then sand and paint. Works pretty well for me.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by lrr
            Joint compound is a great filler. As for primer, I swear by Kilz -- plenty of solids in it to give a smooth finish. You can use a cheap roller to apply, and it sands easily to give you a really smooth finish before painting.
            Irr,

how are things in Fort Fun? haven't been there since '99, after i graduated from CSU.
            Pete

Comment

• jlm
              Established Member
              • Oct 2005
              • Austin, TX

A note about primer - in my experience, it's best to use an oil-based primer, rather than latex. The water in latex primer can sometimes swell the MDF and spoil the smooth texture. After you've primed, you can use latex paint if you like, since the primer will seal the surface.

Comment

• gychang
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Sacramento, California
                • none

Originally posted by jlm
                A note about primer - in my experience, it's best to use an oil-based primer, rather than latex. The water in latex primer can sometimes swell the MDF and spoil the smooth texture. After you've primed, you can use latex paint if you like, since the primer will seal the surface.
                important to use the oil-base primer and then the latex can be used, very helpful thanks for all who gave their adivse.

gychang

Comment

Working...